Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed Ex .. can anyone help explain this.

Options
  • 10-03-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

HI Folks

I recently had a sample product made in China and sent to me via Fed Ex. The sample product cost $40 to have made and the shipping $80 .. ( approx €70 via Fed Ex ).
    As the sample product cost so little the manufacturer told me their was no tax due on their side. I then got a letter in the post from Fed Ex yesterday telling me i owe them €30 .. despite already having paid €70. I cant however figure out what exactly they are charging me for. I have tried ringing them on more than one occasion but i get sent to a UK call center and left on hold. I have attached images below if anyone can help explain .. I dont mind paying it If i have to but im not sure what exactly Im paying. I appreciate their may have been duty on my end but I cant figure out at what rate they have applied it. My understanding was for the product and industry (music) it relates to 4.5% was applicable.
    I also feel I am being shafted on the weight of the product , if they are applying a charge for that .. they seem to have added almost 1kg to the original weight , it has jumped from 2.1kg to 3kg.
    It also leaves me with the question of .. If I end up ordering 1000 of these units from china for the market what type of charge could i expect Fed Ex to apply when the product lands here , and what is that figure based on given that they are currently charging me almost what the sample product cost to make.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

VAT is due on the cost (including shipping) of the Item, you said it was $40, plus $80 shipping, so $120 (approx €100) so you pay the VAT on that, plus FedEx charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As above, you pay vat on the full landed costs of a product.
    No duty applied at the cost was under the duty limits

Same applies in all countries.

If you are vat registered, you just put it on your vat return.

So if 1,000 items cost $20,000, duty of 4.5%, freight $2,000, your vat would apply to that combined total of $22,900

Advertisement