Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repainting a plastic mirror casing

Options
  • 10-03-2021 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Clashed mirrors some time back with an oncoming car. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought for my own, just the plastic body coloured mirror casing got smashed.

Long story short I picked up a complete mirror from a breakers which is a different colour to my own (albeit not dramatically different) and just replacing plastic mirror casing itself onto my own mirror. I have picked up primer, paint done to my colour code and lacquer - all in rattle cans and going to take a stab at painting the mirror casing.

It's a 10 year family car so not looking for a top notch finish (which I know I won't get from spray can's anyway). That said I wan't to make as decent a go at it as I can and have a few questions.

What grade(s) of sandpaper should I use on the pre-finished mirror casing to ensure a good key for the primer?

Should I sand after primer, before paint and if so what grade(s) of sandpaper? Some gurus on Youtube direct you while others don't allude to it.

How long should lacquer be left to cure before sanding, buffing and polishing to remove the expected orange peel? One guy on Youtube suggests a week while a few more suggest a day or two. For reference the lacquer is Simoniz, spray can. Also what grades of sandpaper should I be using at this stage.

As always thanks a million for any constructive input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Clashed mirrors some time back with an oncoming car. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought for my own, just the plastic body coloured mirror casing got smashed.

Long story short I picked up a complete mirror from a breakers which is a different colour to my own (albeit not dramatically different) and just replacing plastic mirror casing itself onto my own mirror. I have picked up primer, paint done to my colour code and lacquer - all in rattle cans and going to take a stab at painting the mirror casing.

It's a 10 year family car so not looking for a top notch finish (which I know I won't get from spray can's anyway). That said I wan't to make as decent a go at it as I can and have a few questions.

What grade(s) of sandpaper should I use on the pre-finished mirror casing to ensure a good key for the primer?

Should I sand after primer, before paint and if so what grade(s) of sandpaper? Some gurus on Youtube direct you while others don't allude to it.

How long should lacquer be left to cure before sanding, buffing and polishing to remove the expected orange peel? One guy on Youtube suggests a week while a few more suggest a day or two. For reference the lacquer is Simoniz, spray can. Also what grades of sandpaper should I be using at this stage.

As always thanks a million for any constructive input.

What I'd do. 400 or lighter paper,dry sand it until the gloss is gone.No need for primer,you're painting on paint - not plastic. Couple of haze coats & 1 finish coat.Leave for 10 or 15 mins & 2 coats of laquer. Make sure the cover is warm & properly cleaned after sanding.
    Put it in the hotpress for a few days before buffing. (If you're brave enough) :)

Advertisement