Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are people buying their bikes?

Options
  • 09-03-2021 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

With Covid and Brexit it looks like the worldwide supply of bikes is way down so I'm wondering where you can get a womans road bike online. I assume the UK is uncompetitive with additional taxes... Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

coolbeans wrote: »
    With Covid and Brexit it looks like the worldwide supply of bikes is way down so I'm wondering where you can get a womans road bike online. I assume the UK is uncompetitive with additional taxes... Any pointers appreciated.

I looked at a hybrid bike for my daughter in the uk today as they are so scarce here, price was good at <€200 but shipping and taxes was an extra €411!!!

Halfords have bikes in stock if there is one near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

YThanmks for your response. UK is out, they haven't a clue about import taxes here. I found Alltricks a French site selling a Kona Sutra for 900E.
    http://https://www.alltricks.com/F-187976-velo-ville_voyage_vtc/P-1653864-kona_sutra_al_se_travel_bike_shimano_sora_deore_9s_700_mm_mustard_yellow_2021

Anyone dealt with them? Bikes are in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I bought a Wilier from Salden bikes in Holland last summer. Good enough to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So. A shortage of bikes they say....
    IMG-20210311-150122.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150457.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150620.jpg

Wheelworx in Lucan is absolutely crammed with bikes!! It's unbelievable. And many 7 grand plus bikes labelled with paid receipts, awaiting collection! Sunny days in Laragh are going to be quite the bike show!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

fat bloke wrote: »
    IMG-20210311-150122.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150457.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150620.jpg

Wheelworx in Lucan is absolutely crammed with bikes!! It's unbelievable. And many 7 grand plus bikes labelled with paid receipts, awaiting collection! Sunny days in Laragh are going to be quite the bike show!

There's isn't a drop bar road bike there for less than €2700 so I'd say the shortage is very real. Fine if you want to spend three grand plus but my budget is more modest. Kudos to the manufacturers for pushing the very high end machines though, there's always something if you've got deep pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

IMG-20210311-150122.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150457.jpg
    IMG-20210311-150620.jpg

I didn't have a good experience with them

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Try https://www.altitude.ie/ in Waterford. They are great to deal with. Got an e bike delivered a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

coolbeans wrote: »
    YThanmks for your response. UK is out, they haven't a clue about import taxes here. I found Alltricks a French site selling a Kona Sutra for 900E.
    http://https://www.alltricks.com/F-187976-velo-ville_voyage_vtc/P-1653864-kona_sutra_al_se_travel_bike_shimano_sora_deore_9s_700_mm_mustard_yellow_2021

Anyone dealt with them? Bikes are in stock.

Alltricks are good, had pair of forks go missing in the post and got an option to swap or full refund without any bother. All other shopping with them has arrived quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Try https://www.altitude.ie/ in Waterford. They are great to deal with. Got an e bike delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Was in there today; they had a second truck load of bikes delivered today, at least 30 Scott still unboxed. Not sure what they got yesterday

It seems that there has been a huge cut back in the production of low end bikes by most manufacturers, so likely to be continued short supply at lower price points

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭TurloughT

Without high jacking the thread, does anyone know where to get older campag group sets? I’ve been looking for 11 speed record or super record and can’t find it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of my kids recently outgrew their bike, I bought a very good one secondhand off Gumtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Rob always has high end bikes in there and generally there's a queue to buy them and in particular to buy the ones he's used at a modest discount.

I think the shortage is in the bike to work price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Did you check decathlon?

The ground floor was full of entry level bikes too but no drop bars alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There have been stock issues for gravel bikes for over six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Peregrine wrote: »
    There have been stock issues for gravel bikes for over six months.

Looking for it too. Hard to find gravel bikes between 1000 and 1500.

cblanc wrote: »

What size are you? I picked up a cx bike recently that I'm not sure I need or will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

What size are you? I picked up a cx bike recently that I'm not sure I need or will use.

fat bloke, I'd be interested to see what you have if cblanc isn't. Thanks

cblanc wrote: »

I got lucky and picked one up in January. Not that I've been able to use it.

Are there any particular specs you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Heard from a bike shop today that Orbeas entire 2021 production of Terra gravel bikes is already sold out so no orders being taken.

• Advertisement

NewWheels wrote: »
    Heard from a bike shop today that Orbeas entire 2021 production of Terra gravel bikes is already sold out so no orders being taken.

Sounds about right. Rothar said I'd have to wait over 4 months late last year and the wait time was only getting longer.

The Edge Sports has black H40s in small and large if you're interested: https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/gravel-bikes-c743/orbea-terra-h40-2021-p29776

Also two small mint green H40s left at The Sports Room: https://shop.thesportsroom.ie/orbea-terra-h40-2021.html?id=235544114

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Thanks. I finally found what I was looking for :) I bought a CX too

Advertisement