Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Virgin Cabling with Cat 6

Options
  • 09-03-2021 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is going to end up sounding daft but essentially we're in a new build house that had been prewired by Virgin for TV so we have a box at the side of the house that they would ultimately connect up to ( although at this stage they say they've no plans to actually activate the estate ), we also have Eir FTTH going to a box adjacent to the Virgin one outside the home.

Internally we have 3 blank plates with Virgin COAX connectors behind them for their TV service when it arrives I assume.

Currently the FTTH goes to the Eir housing at the side of the house then goes around the house and comes into the sitting room through the wall so only one point of access for cable.

Would it be difficult/expensive to have someone pull the Virgin cabling out and replace it with Cat 6 so we would have the ability to hardwire internet where the current Virgin Coax sits and then just connect the Eir FTTH box to the Virgin Box at the side of the house to have everything run into the new points?

Hopefully that makes sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Virgin need RG6 coaxial inside the home,
    They run there own fibre optic cable to the box outside then run two RG6 coaxial cables inside; one is a power supply and the other is TV/broadband,
    They then fit a splitter and connect router and TV box to that,
    Full estate and house install detailed here:

I can provide images of full installation,
    Had it done and estate plumbed in by virgin,

Best to run a cat7 seperate to the existing installation.
    If possible do it yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Sorry just to clarify Virgin aren't servicing the estate and claim they have no plans to so why they went ahead and did work on running internal cables in all of the houses is beyond me but I'm hoping theres a way to utilize what they've done for my Eir FTTH

Advertisement