Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social house problem

Options
  • 09-03-2021 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have a problem I live in Cavan but i have been left a house in cork city. The house I live in is a social/council house in Cavan. I dont make a lot of money an i dont wanna live in cork. I am selling it.The estate agent values it at 300k.
    if the council find out i have inhertited a house in cork. will they kick me out of the council house and make me move to the house in cork?

its stressing me out. anyone help?
    Can i keep my social house and sell the house in cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can you not sell the house in cork...and buy a house you want in Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

gmisk wrote: »

I'd agree tbh. There are plenty of people with a lot less than 300k on the waiting list. I'd imagine anyone with a mortgage that inherited 300k would be seriously considering paying theirs off.
    Your in a great position now so don't waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Coldoutside

I am not looking to be juged I am looking for help. i am happy where I am and i am happy with my rent. I have been burdened with a house i dint want in an area i dont want to live with 100k in inheritance tax to boot.

i just want to know if i can be made move

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No you can't.

Social house is for life.

Rent may change but you won't me made move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭XsApollo

No you can’t be made move, but your rent will probably increase inline with your spending power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

gmisk wrote: »

Its cavan, for 300k you could buy at least 2 houses here :P

No you can't.

Social house is for life.

Rent may change but you won't me made move.
    That is all I needed to know. Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

If you've nothing helpful to contribute, don't post.

Some off-topic posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Isn't there data sharing between revenue and other depts like welfare.
    So if you pay the inheritance tax won't information be passed to welfare, which would most likely trigger a review?

I know when my father triggered the nursing home loan from the HSE, the change of address was passed to welfare which then cut his fuel/living alone allowances since he was no longer resident independently and entitled to those supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Could you buy the house in Cavan when you sell the house in cork? How will you be caught for 100k in tax? Are you getting money as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Could you contact the council & ask a hypothetical question as to how much it would cost to buy the house you are currently in?
    The councils often allow tenants to purchase.

fago wrote: »
    Isn't there data sharing between revenue and other depts like welfare.
    So if you pay the inheritance tax won't information be passed to welfare, which would most likely trigger a review?

I know when my father triggered the nursing home loan from the HSE, the change of address was passed to welfare which then cut his fuel/living alone allowances since he was no longer resident independently and entitled to those supports.

My late father wasn't in full time care a full week when they took the few paltry freebies he had. Every year without fail I had to contact the post office to tell them the house was vacant as they were looking for a TV licence...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Could you buy the house in Cavan when you sell the house in cork? How will you be caught for 100k in tax? Are you getting money as well?

inheritance tax on the house

Inheritance tax. not a relative. it is double taxation on a property the tax was already paid on. theft the goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

What a nice problem to have Coldoutside....

Mod - I know you're telling people not to post if they've nothing positive to add, but seriously, by facilitating this poster you're encouraging ways to hide assets from DSP. You're encouraging fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I have been burdened with a house i dint want in an area i dont want to live with 100k in inheritance tax to boot.

If you don't want it I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :P

I don't see why you are stressed, just sell the house in Cork and buy one for cash in Cavan. Sorted.

Could you buy the house in Cavan when you sell the house in cork?

I am in me 40s, my rent is only 400 a month. in the long run cheaper to rent then buy it. have some fun with the 200 k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You could use the proceeds to buy a nice house for yourself in Cavan, and free up the social housing for a vulnerable person who needs it in the process.

Win-win.

Congrats on the windfall OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I am not looking to be juged I am looking for help. i am happy where I am and i am happy with my rent. I have been burdened with a house i dint want in an area i dont want to live with 100k in inheritance tax to boot.

With respect, if you find the 200k net a burden, you can just disclaim the inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Very confused as to why you would still need social housing when you have 200k about to land in your account to buy your own house (if 100k inheritance tax is indeed the amount). Social housing isn’t free money for those who ask - it’s about helping those in need which you won’t be.

I suggest you read this also - it’s very unlikely that your inheritance won’t be counted as means

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/inheritance-will-hit-welfare-payments-to-brother-with-homeless-past-1.3837782%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement

What a nice problem to have Coldoutside....

Mod - I know you're telling people not to post if they've nothing positive to add, but seriously, by facilitating this poster you're encouraging ways to hide assets from DSP. You're encouraging fraud.

Mod Note

The OP has not asked how to evade or avoid any obligations or hide anything.

I am in me 40s, my rent is only 400 a month. in the long run cheaper to rent then buy it. have some fun with the 200 k

You won't be 40 forever it's a golden opportunity to own your house and be rent free for the rest of your life. You could always look into the part ownership scheme some councils are doing, it won't cost as much and you'll still have a nice few bob to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Inheritance tax. not a relative. it is double taxation on a property the tax was already paid on. theft the goverment

You remind me of the chief prison guard in the Shawshank Redemption. Oh, woe is you, inheriting all those assets, such misery :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

XsApollo wrote: »
    No you can’t be made move, but your rent will probably increase inline with your spending power.

It won't. Rent is related to income not assets.

OP you're sitting pretty. I hate that you are, but that's the law. Your social tenancy is for life or as long as you want it.

OP, The minute that money hits your account you'll be knocked off the dole (if you're on it). Your rent is based on income, as said above, so won't increase. However, to not buy the house off the council would be incredibly foolish, especially if you like where you live. They'll even give it to you at a knockdown price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So you want to have your cage and eat it.

If you have the means to provide for yourself but choose not to . Then simply donate it to charity and stay where you are. Or ask the council can you buy the house you are in.

Mod Note

as the OPs question has been answered, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement