Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen addiction

Options
  • 09-03-2021 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My 13 year old son seems to be addicted to screens. His school is an ipad one so I'm already on the back foot as I can't take it from him. He's not attending his online classes or submitting homework. He has missed a huge amount of school. He refuses to discuss anything with me. I now remove the router each evening so that at least he will get some sleep. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

If he is not actually using the Ipad for schoolwork, I would see no issue with removing it from him. Have you got a laptop he can use for educational purposes in a common area in the house? If you are seeing behavioural issues could you contact a family therapist? If he is being this defiant at 13, it will only get worse if you don't do something now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

And also have you been in touch with the school....are they just letting that non-attendance go??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Can you stay near him when doing class work to keep an eye on what he's doing? Having the iPad near you will probably make him avoid your "nagging" and get on with the work.

That's all well in good but have you contacted his teachers to find out exactly what he's slacking on and ask your son himself what he's struggling with? Most likely could be a case that because he's at home all day everyday that he's given up the motivation and could likely interact and learn better when he's physically in class. I know it's not a possibility for some at the moment but mentally he could be demotivated and just doesn't want to do the work.

He's 13. Not 18. That doesn't mean you can slack and assume he's grand and leave him to figure it out. I presume he's in 1st year. Although not important to him, it's important to get the head start in subjects in 1st year and to slack now, means he could return to class physically and not have a clue what's going on. Stand your ground. Find out what's going on. Ask teachers for tips to keep him motivated and show you how to teach him if he's struggling. Turning off the router really doesn't do anything unless he's clever enough to use data on his phone to stay up late on his phone. 13 year old aren't idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shiksha

Hi, I just wanted to say that you are not alone. I am having the exact same issue with a boy of a similar age. I have actually joined this because I need some technical advice on how to limit internet access (I am tech illiterate!)

The very best of luck to you. If I find out anything relevant I will post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Teachers have an app called "classroom" on their ipads, it is used to monitor all screens throughout the class so that they can ensure that students are using their ipads as they are supposed to be, it shows you their screens and also details what app they are currently looking at.

Not sure if it is something you can look into but perhaps you could get an ipad, even a cheap second hand one, install this and monitor his use as they do in school. If he is not using his school ipad appropriately he is made to do his homework at the kitchen table with you present and then it is put away afterwards. Presume he is first year? he would only need it for about a hour every evening to get homework done anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement