Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAs / AHBs acquired 2,800 housing units in 2019. Where from?

Options
  • 09-03-2021 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Graham wrote: »
    Acquisitions do look like they're exceeding targets by about 250 units per year for a total of 500 - 600 units p.a.

Looks like there are currently 335 acquisitions in the pipeline.

Those figures appear very low given that the councils and AHBs purchased almost 2,800 housing units in 2019 and especially given all the additional funding that has been provided by central government for this year.

And, the below are transactions and not long-term lease agreements etc. which would appear to making up a much larger percentage going forward and have the same impact on demand/supply as a direct purchase.

According to the latest BPFI Housing Market Monitor Q4 2020, released today:

"It is important to note that within the non-household sector, transactions involving state or semi-state agencies such as those made by local authorities and approved housing bodies (AHBs) as well as other organisations within the education and health sectors reached €1.1 billion, accounting for around 31% of non-household purchases during 2019.

Local authorities and AHBs acquired almost 2,800 housing units in 2019 and 591 in the first nine months of 2020."

Link to BPFI Housing Market Monitor Q4 2020 report here: https://bpfi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/BPFI-Housing-Market-Monitor-Q4-2020-for-web-FINAL.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Those figures appear very low given that the councils and AHBs purchased almost 2,800 housing units in 2019 and especially given all the additional funding that has been provided by central government for this year.

Yet they are the figures.
    Local authorities and AHBs acquired almost 2,800 housing units in 2019 and 591 in the first nine months of 2020

Mod Note

While it's not relevant to discussion of this years property market, the 2019 figures could be worth of a separate thread to understand the make-up of the 2,800 and what proportion of them were LA projects on LA owned land.

I might try and split that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Graham wrote: »
    Yet they are the figures.

Mod Note

While it's not relevant to discussion of this years property market, the 2019 figures could be worth of a separate thread to understand the make-up of the 2,800 and what proportion of them were LA projects on LA owned land.

I might try and split that out.

I only brought it up because the report was only issued this morning.

Mod

Split from the property market 2020 thread.

Taking DCC as a snapshot and looking back at the "Dublin City Council Housing Delivery Report – January 2021"

1,116 houses delivered 547 by acquisition.

New Build – DCC, and New Build – AHBs only meeting about two thirds of their target.

What I can't see from the BPFI report is a breakdown showing if they're counting LA construction projects. I suspect they are included as they inevitably go out to tender.

Advertisement