Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

mixing different size PV panels

• 09-03-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭ mun1

looking at upgrading my array (DIy build). getting a bit jealous with everyone posting about their 6-10kWh array :)

have 8 x 315W Longi panels which are south facing on one string and 4 x 315W on another string facing west .

I'm going to add another 4-6 panels onto the south string ( onto wall on brackets).

one company in Dublin will sell me 360W longi panels for same price as I paid for 315 panels last year.

as I understand it if I add these 360W panels to the 315W panels then I would be limited by the current (Ip) in the 315 panels (all panels connected in series).
    both panels have very similar voltage .

any thoughts ?

my other options to change out the 4 x 315 panels and add them to this string and put the new 4 x 360W panels onto the west facing string.

either option will up my array from 3.7 kw to 5.2kw. for aprox €700.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Yes you're right on both counts. I'm in the same situation and I have just accepted the fact that I am losing about 65W per panel max. Either that or pay a roofer to replace the panels on my high roof (which will never pay for itself)

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭ quentingargan

Maybe look for some 320w panels of a different brand, but with similar current. The 320w are usually smaller so you can fit more, and cheaper too, so more watts per €

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭ mun1

The voltage current curves would need to be similar I’d say, thats why i was looking at the 360W longi to add to the 315 W longi .
    Trying to source some 315W longi today , as it will the easiest effort.

320 amerisolar panels are similar in size and VP and IP ranges. Might have a closer look at these

Added in the 4 x 320W amerisolar panels today .

They are at 45 deg angle (brackets on wall) and other 8 on string are at approx 40 deg on shed roof. (All facing south)

Everything seems to be working fine, getting the correct boost in voltage.

Array now at 5 kw and even though today is hazy and cloudy on 11kwh , which seems good .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo

I have 10x300w panels on front and 5x340w on rear.

I needed to put the extra panels on the same south facing string where i have 8 existing 315 panels .
    The other string is taken up with west facing panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ buzz11

mun1 wrote: »
    Added in the 4 x 320W amerisolar panels today .

They are at 45 deg angle (brackets on wall) and other 8 on string are at approx 40 deg on shed roof. (All facing south)

Where did you source wall brackets?

Could you post a photo of the wall mounted panels? I'm interested in doing the same but unsure how it will look.

Thanks!

Got brackets form amazon.co.uk and used M8 rawl bolts for top fixings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Linky to the brackets?

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ slayer91

Hi,

I am planning to do something similar, could you please post details of how you attached the sloping PV panels to the brackets

Regards
    Liam

Mounting instructions and fixings to attach panel to bracket come with the brackets

Advertisement