Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elica induction hob with extraction

• 08-03-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi. Researching an induction hob for an island in new kitchen extension. Saw this one and was wondering if anyone had experience of it?

Elica NikolaTesla Prime Induction Hob with Extractor | NIKOPRIMEREC85

We're learning that to have a hob on out island, we will need a downdraft system for extraction and between recirculation and duct, are veering towards duct.

Any thoughts welcome, or any better recommendations? This one seems to be the cheapest as well so a but wary...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As an aside, do you expect any residual head in the IH when you take off the pot and it goes off: just wonder from a safety perspective?
    if its dark but hot!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As an aside, do you expect any residual head in the IH when you take off the pot and it goes off: just wonder from a safety perspective?
    if its dark but hot!

The only residual heat in an induction hob is that which was conducted from the pan to the glass. While you'd not want to put your hand on it after you take a pan off it, it's not even remotely as hot as a conventional ceramic hob would be and certainly not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Alun wrote: »
    The only residual heat in an induction hob is that which was conducted from the pan to the glass. While you'd not want to put your hand on it after you take a pan off it, it's not even remotely as hot as a conventional ceramic hob would be and certainly not dangerous.

Thanks, thats what I thought, just checking! Hope all is well with you.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

misc2013 wrote: »
    Hi. Researching an induction hob for an island in new kitchen extension. Saw this one and was wondering if anyone had experience of it?

Elica NikolaTesla Prime Induction Hob with Extractor | NIKOPRIMEREC85

We're learning that to have a hob on out island, we will need a downdraft system for extraction and between recirculation and duct, are veering towards duct.

Any thoughts welcome, or any better recommendations? This one seems to be the cheapest as well so a but wary...

Hi,
    We went with the NikolaTesla switch. Main reason like you as we went for a hob on the island. It has the option for both recirc and ducted, personally I went with duct for two reasons one I didn't was a bulkhead or an extractor coming down to the island in the centre or the room. The second reason was airtightness, the house was built with a good level of airtightness and didn't want to a) stick a hole in my wall and b) start pushing hot air out. Also, with an island there is a bit of a ducting required to get the fumes out to an external wall. Did I read somewhere this long length can see temps drop and grease in the pipework. Ideally if going ducted it should be by the wall and out (google that point though maybe)

I looked at a lot of carbon type induction hobs and what swung me to the Elisa was you could reactivate the carbon filters. I looked a Miele, Neff and Siemens amongst others and they were all straight replacements (at the time circa 2.5 years ago). I though the cost would add up where I can get a number of goes with the existing filters.

We do find it good, not that we do huge amount of frying etc but I have stuck my nose down to the duct when cooking a steak and thought there was much of the odour gone (maybe that was in my head). Overall, though generally speaking I can't complain about smells in the house (is that filter, house, I'm not sure).

The fan can pull in the vapours around it, which was a worry before buying. Full power it is noise but does do its job. One thing I would change if you go ducted is that I you place the duct somewhere you are not standing. My duct is underneath the hob so when you are standing there you do get a draft. I (in hindsight) but the duct on another side of the island.

My 2c anyway, let me know if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

bifl wrote: »
    Hi,
    We went with the NikolaTesla switch. Main reason like you as we went for a hob on the island. It has the option for both recirc and ducted, personally I went with duct for two reasons one I didn't was a bulkhead or an extractor coming down to the island in the centre or the room. The second reason was airtightness, the house was built with a good level of airtightness and didn't want to a) stick a hole in my wall and b) start pushing hot air out. Also, with an island there is a bit of a ducting required to get the fumes out to an external wall. Did I read somewhere this long length can see temps drop and grease in the pipework. Ideally if going ducted it should be by the wall and out (google that point though maybe)

I looked at a lot of carbon type induction hobs and what swung me to the Elisa was you could reactivate the carbon filters. I looked a Miele, Neff and Siemens amongst others and they were all straight replacements (at the time circa 2.5 years ago). I though the cost would add up where I can get a number of goes with the existing filters.

We do find it good, not that we do huge amount of frying etc but I have stuck my nose down to the duct when cooking a steak and thought there was much of the odour gone (maybe that was in my head). Overall, though generally speaking I can't complain about smells in the house (is that filter, house, I'm not sure).

The fan can pull in the vapours around it, which was a worry before buying. Full power it is noise but does do its job. One thing I would change if you go ducted is that I you place the duct somewhere you are not standing. My duct is underneath the hob so when you are standing there you do get a draft. I (in hindsight) but the duct on another side of the island.

My 2c anyway, let me know if you have any more questions.

Sorry folks, I just re-read this. I'm getting my ducting and recirc mixed up.

I went with the recirc option. So in effect the only ducting is from my hob and out from the isalnd and into the room. See my point though on where to position the outlet to avoind air blowing at your feet when cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭50HX

Great Post, thank you

If you were starting again would you buy it

Advertisement