Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning to work (probably not legally)?

Options
  • 08-03-2021 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have being informed that I have to return to work in a retail outlet.
    It was classified as a none essential store,
    During lockdown one we returned early before they lifted the restrictions.
    During lockdown two we had click and collect but you were told to serve people who walked in off the street.
    Now we've being told they contacted the HSE about reopening and they never replied. So, they are reopening.
    I'm petrified of a Garda calling to the shop.

Anybody experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Make anonymous heads up call to the guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/return_to_work/returning_to_work_and_covid19.html

there is a pre return to work protocol and a range of measure employer must out in place. you can report any failings to employer, and then to HSE.

have a read, and i hope that reassures you. As an employee they do have a duty of care to you. objectively if all the protections are put in place and the staff that the time to adhere to them - going back to work doesnt have to be very risky at all. If you dont think they should be open call the no. listed for the HSE.

As a society we are moving in the right direction. The timing of back to work & reopening if alway going to be debatable but i do want to point out that being in lockdown has its own set of problems, and going back to work can be liberating not to mention financially rewarding, after all that's why we go to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Thanks, I just feel awkward about going back to work the way we are.

I'm not really scared of catching Covid.

However I am aware of the risk.

I just feel very anxious about being open.

All the other businesses are closed and I feel like I'm giving them a big two figures up to them.

I like following the law and doing what I'm told.

I'm obeying my boss but ignoring the HSE/Government/etc.

I'm petrified of a Garda coming in and then having to tell my boss.

I also feel bad for all those who can't return to work whilst I can.

To the front line workers who need to go to work.

I know I said I a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Thanks to those who replied.

Can a mod lock the thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

OP your store will most likely be shut down, probably within hours of re-opening. There was a regional hairdressers that tried to open up not too long ago that lasted only a couple of days, it’s getting cracked down on fast and people are reporting it because most people feel like you. This isn’t anything that’s your responsibility or that can be controlled. You’re taking a LOT on your shoulders that you don’t need to by stressing about the Gardai (staff wouldn’t be punished) or your boss (who can’t punish you).

If you don’t feel safe or have vulnerable people you can’t avoid, I’d say as much to your employer. If they sack you, take them to employment course and take a year’s worth of wages off them, it’ll be an open and shut case. If they try discipline you, make sure you get it in writing. If you’re going to go in, you’ll probably only be there a day or two before it’s shut down and your employer learns that they’re wrong the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Thread closed as per OP's request.

Thanks everyone

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement