Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror light switch for cabinet

Options
  • 08-03-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

We want to have a small bathroom mirror light that we can switch on and off in the bathroom. We have a 15cm deep mirror cabinet above the sink with a mirror light mounted above it, but it didn't come with an integrated switch.

I saw a thread for something similar and I believe it's probably what we already have - a pull-cord (like the ones used for electric showers) to turn the LED light above the mirror-cabinet on and off. It's mounted directly on top of the cabinet, and the cord hangs to the side. It's really not a great solution, but the only thing our electrician suggested as he said there are no switches for mounting in the bathroom so close to the shower. We have a demister mirror in the other bathroom which came with an integrated switch on the side, but he said that it's because it's already water-proofed at the factory. We would really love to find a similar solution for our en-suite mirror. The pull-cord is just so bloody loud, turning it on at night means waking everyone with that pop, so we can't even use the en-suite at night, which is a bit frustrating. :mad:

The pull-chord also eventually broke (the plastic bit between cord attached to the switch and the cord that hangs down) and we have to use that 10cm bit of string still attached to the switch.

We want to either find a switch suitable for use in the bathroom (within 1.5m of the shower, as the bathroom cabinet is installed just beside the shower in the en-suite) or replace the mirror light with one that can be mounted on top of the cabinet and has a switch integrated into it. I've seen lights with switches, but they are usually wall-mounted, and so wouldn't suit a cabinet.

Would love to hear any suggestions or solutions.

Advertisement