Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer leases! Interested in knowing more

Options
  • 08-03-2021 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

What sort of money are these going for.

Can holders sub let a place to a third party.

Can or do people people ever seek to buy in to these or are they ever offered in classified adverts?

Just thought it would be worth looking into..

The idea of stalking over large mountains and wide expanses of moor is appealing. If only to do it once..

Share any links that explain all..
    Thanks for the help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Let's start by dividing stalking leases into types (there may be more but I only know of two examples here)

Coilte Forestry Leases

Private Leases

Coilte Lease come with a raft of pre existing terms and conditions. Two of the most important things they look for are Hunter Competency Cert (HCAP or similar) and appropriate insurance. If you don't have these then you won't get a permit.
    Lease are done through a closed tender/ bid system. The potential licensee applies with the appropriate forms through the appropriate channels with a bid. If the bid is successful they are awarded a 5 year lease on which they must pay annually the sum the put in at the bud. In other words if you bid €5,000.00 (+VAT) for a wood you will pay that annually for the 5 year term.

Private Lease...all I can say is buyer beware and use some of the points posted here to do your own assessment of the terms.

Ahh the 64 million $ question. I have bid and won a wood in the past and I estimated what I felt the price of an animal was worth to me (not game dealer price) I went in with a group of friends, we looked at the cull figure, the size of the wood, the location etc and came up with a figure that each would be happy with. Just remember you have to pay VAT on your bid, so reverse calculate your maximum bid to allow for the additional VAT.
    Can holders sub let a place to a third party
    In theory you are limited to the amount of nominated stalkers you can have on the lease. For example if you have a cull of 5 animals it would be impractical to have more than 5 stalkers.
    Individuals may only stalk if they are nominated by the leasee and meet the requirements of certification / insurance. Coillte issue each nomination with a permit to hunt that particular lease.
    The leasee is responsible for the lease and is not allowed to sub let the lease. If an individual pays for stalking and does not receive a permit directly from Coilte then there is something fishy going on.
    Can or do people people ever seek to buy in to these or are they ever offered in classified adverts?
    I was the leasee of a wood with a group of friends but previously I was asked onto a lease through acquaintance who vouched for me and at present I am on a lease that I was given a contact number to ring and enquire if there were any places going. I was lucky to get a recent vacancy, while others may have waited awhile.

Few options-

*We have a sticky thread in the For Sale Section here where people can advertise or seek a place.

*Word of mouth via fellow stalkers is good.

*Contact the various groups that offer hunter qualifications and see if they have contacts.

*Your local Wild Life Ranger may be able to give you a few contacts.

*If you want to take the plunge keep an eye on Coilte website for the yearly catalogue of leases and the leasing process.

The idea of stalking over large mountains and wide expanses of moore is appealing. If only to do it once..

Now just be aware, you may get that experince if you go on a private lease. One I looked at previously was open hill stalking in Wicklow but Coilte is a different kettle of fish. Coilte stalking leases are in conjunction with forest management and the deer cull is for the crop protection ie trees. So you won't be getting wide open hill and moores to trap across. I was on a lease on the side of a mountain and our permission ended right on the tree line. Despite the regular sighting of deer out on the open hill we had no legal stance there. You know what they say 'what's better than a Coilte lease?...... the farm land around it's.

Coilte also have rules of when you can and cannot stalk and it is not unheard of that syndicates may not be allowed on the lease due to commercial activities or social / sporting events despite paying for the hunting.

If you want to try that type of hunting or even woodland hunting there are plenty of outfitters or commercial stalking business around the country, you'll pay a pretty penny but in most cases you'll get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

see below

Its seems that you have some reluctance to disclose a specific price and maybe there's a good reason.

I love to know what values you have heard of based on a price per animal?

Regards.. zxthinger

PS thanks for the detailed post..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Zxthinger wrote: »

Its seems that you have some reluctance to disclose a specific price and maybe there's a good reason.

Yes, and not being short, because its private. If you disclose the price of a lease that you are holding then you are open to been out bid when the lease comes up for renewal. Friends and assoicates have parted ways over leases, while many a lad is lurking in the back ground.

It's not rocket science to work out an approximate of the cost of a lease by knowing what an individual is paying and the number of nominated stalkers on that wood.
    So if a lad is paying €**** and there are 5 stalkers on the wood you can expect the bidd on the wood is no more than 5 x €****.

The bigger the cull the more expensive the lease so a cull of a few animals may go for less the €1000.00 per annum but a larger cull you could be looking at €10,000.00 or more per annum.

Have a look here for the average asking price -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113058763

The terms of advertising a lease here are clearly laid out and if lads wish to disclose that information on a public forum that's thier prerogative. You'll get a jist of the asking price and what is being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Can holders sub let a place to a third party.

The idea of stalking over large mountains and wide expanses of moor is appealing. If only to do it once..

Thanks for the help..

Hi Mate, I was on a lett near Kilarney of 20,000 acres at €250/year. Plenty of Sika deer and walking. And a 2 hour drive from home.
    Next lett was near Clonmel with 5,000acres at €600/year. Again a nice holding of Fallow deer. A nice 45 minutes drive from home. Both were Coilte Forestry Leases. From that lett near Clonmel I saw a heard of deer on an ajoining farm and drove over and asked for permission to shoot on the land. I've now been shooting on that farm for 5 years or so. No charge and I always give the farmer a nice hamper of venison every year. He also signs my deer hunting permission each year.

Give me a shout nearer the start of the season next year and I'll bring you out for a shot.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    Hi Mate, I was on a lett near Kilarney of 20,000 acres at €250/year. Plenty of Sika deer and walking. And a 2 hour drive from home.
    Next lett was near Clonmel with 5,000acres at €600/year. Again a nice holding of Fallow deer. A nice 45 minutes drive from home. Both were Coilte Forestry Leases. From that lett near Clonmel I saw a heard of deer on an ajoining farm and drove over and asked for permission to shoot on the land. I've now been shooting on that farm for 5 years or so. No charge and I always give the farmer a nice hamper of venison every year. He also signs my deer hunting permission each year.

Give me a shout nearer the start of the season next year and I'll bring you out for a shot.
    Sound Clive.. I take it that I'll be doing the driving.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Sound Clive.. I take it that I'll be doing the driving.. lol

Yes onto the guns ;);)

Advertisement