Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 100 Birthday (23 March 2021)

Options
  • 07-03-2021 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

So Shimano are 1 year out of sync for the Dura Ace update which was speculated for 2020. It is assumed now to be launched as part of their centennial celebrations this month.

I wonder if that is the case for the new Dura Ace and also if anything is due? Hopefully its not as disappointing as Treks last marketing campaign which resulted in a new helmet!

From a Dura Ace perspective i expect them to go to the MicroSpline standard and 12 speed. Would love them to integrate blue tooth into the shifter or derailleurs instead of a separate fitting and talks of some level of wireless. Although the wires have never bothered me I suppose it could tidy it up a bit more for aesthetics?

https://www.shimano.com/en/100th/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Not much interest in this it seems.

I've been doing a very small bit of googling re lack of shimano supply at the moment...

I'm just wondering if they announce this new groupset will they actually be able to produce and supply it in order to meet demand any time soon?

I'm looking for di2 8050 but prices are so nuts for what's out there that I'd nearly consider buying a new dura ace groupset if it was available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not much interest in this it seems.

I've been doing a very small bit of googling re lack of shimano supply at the moment...

I'm just wondering if they announce this new groupset will they actually be able to produce and supply it in order to meet demand any time soon?

I'm looking for di2 8050 but prices are so nuts for what's out there that I'd nearly consider buying a new dura ace groupset if it was available

Jeez, what's a new DA groupset going to be post launch?? - 4 grand+???! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hard to be interested in this when you can't get most Shimano parts for 6 months+ at this stage. I'm looking for a GRX 812 derailleur to finish a build and there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in the world. We are 12 months in to the pandemic at this stage so they likely could have increased production if they wanted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hard to be interested in this when you can't get most Shimano parts for 6 months+ at this stage. I'm looking for a GRX 812 derailleur to finish a build and there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in the world. We are 12 months in to the pandemic at this stage so they likely could have increased production if they wanted

It's not that simple.

Shipping is a massive problem too. There is a huge amount of stock sitting on ships in ports around the world that can't be unloaded as they don't have enough staff to be able to do so, plus certain things will be prioritized.

This isn't unique to shimano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

fat bloke wrote: »
    Jeez, what's a new DA groupset going to be post launch?? - 4 grand+???! :eek:

2.5k I would imagine based on previous prices but it depends on if its disc only then I suppose 3k

2.5k I would imagine based on previous prices but it depends on if its disc only then I suppose 3k

That's certainly the sort of ballpark I had in mind when saying I might buy it!

Merlin cycles looking for 1900 at the moment for the 8050

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Shimano are sweating the assets as much as possible at the moment, in terms of maximising output from their existing factories. However, they don't believe the current peak demand levels are sustainable so they are not going to invest in new factories and machinery just to have them sitting under-used in 18 months time.

Shimano have such a dominant position in the market that reduced output levels just mean that people will be waiting, rather than moving en masse to other brands. SRAM have nowhere near the capacity to steal Shimano's lunch (and are probably at max output themselves).

A knock-on of the shortage of components is acute shortages of particular bike brands and we could even see the bizarre spectacle of shops that have chosen the "wrong" brand having to close their doors in a global boom if they can't get anything to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not that simple.

Shipping is a massive problem too. There is a huge amount of stock sitting on ships in ports around the world that can't be unloaded as they don't have enough staff to be able to do so, plus certain things will be prioritized.

It's worse than that, the disruption in the ports means that there's a shortage of shipping containers! Well, not a shortage as such, just that they're in the wrong place. 10s of thousands of shipping containers are being shipped empty back to China.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That's certainly the sort of ballpark I had in mind when saying I might buy it!

Merlin cycles looking for 1900 at the moment for the 8050

That’s nuts!! I bought a full R8050 groupset including cables etc for €940 in December 2019!

• Advertisement

That’s nuts!! I bought a full R8050 groupset including cables etc for €940 in December 2019!

Tell me about it....

I'm not aufait with di2 or versed in the correct lingo, but the electronic upgrade kit (no cranks, chain set, brakes etc) is 1300 sort of mark now.

"full" groups tend not to have everything, some missing the charger or battery or cables etc... No real options at all, so I'd like to get the connection box that goes inside the handlebar instead of the older one that is strapped under the stem, no options for that other than an additional purchase...

It's kind of take what you can get at the moment.

I guess I'm fortunate in that this is not a necessary purchase and I have several other bikes I can use, but I've a lovely new frame I want to build up....

So options are to leave it in the box for a year or two until things are back to normal, or pay way over the odds for di2 (but I won't pay 1800/1900 that merlin want), go for mechanical ultegra (nearly impossible to find), mechanical chorus or record (hard to find)...

I've my details registered for a stock alert on lots of different stock on several websites so I may make a quick decision if I get an update on availability.

There seems to be a good bit of sram stuff floating around but I'm not interested

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not that simple.

True but Shimano have not increased their factory/production ability in line with the increase in demand and were running on split teams for Covid prevention AFAIK so output dropped quite significantly. These two things together have done more than the shipping issue has.

Well so far it's a lottery for a chance to buy a coffee table book which is limited to 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

Well so far it's a lottery for a chance to buy a coffee table book which is limited to 2000.

What book is this, or have I missed something in the thread

cletus wrote: »
    What book is this, or have I missed something in the thread

See link in first post.

Hopefully more will be revealed tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unless they announce an SPD-SL pedal powermeter, I do not care.

CramCycle wrote: »

There might be a picture of one in then book 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

See link in first post.

Hopefully more will be revealed tomorrow.

Right, I've just entered a draw to be in with a chance to win an opportunity to spend money...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Post on another forum says a full suite of pedal powermeters, both SPD-SL and SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Might be some news coming on this, see link below. Rumors' also of Favero selling their powermeter spindle which will fit into SPD-SL pedals

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/garmin-rally-xc200-dual-sided-spd-power-meter/55929/20

• Advertisement
Advertisement