Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Build-up Remover Shampoo?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 9:23pm

It's been years since I needed to use one (which I suspect has something to do with swimming in chlorinated pools) and when I did the brand I used was Pantene, which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

After trying out a conditioning mask I have a really horrible slimy coating on my hair that isn't washing off and it looks disgusting. The build up remover shampoos seem to have disappeared off shelves, or else I can't find them!

Anybody have any recommendations? Or am I condemned to braids for the rest of my life? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Candie wrote: »
    It's been years since I needed to use one (which I suspect has something to do with swimming in chlorinated pools) and when I did the brand I used was Pantene, which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

After trying out a conditioning mask I have a really horrible slimy coating on my hair that isn't washing off and it looks disgusting. The build up remover shampoos seem to have disappeared off shelves, or else I can't find them!

Anybody have any recommendations? Or am I condemned to braids for the rest of my life? :(

Did you try Johnson’s Baby shampoo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love Joico Clarifying shampoo. It doesn't strip and damage hair the way cheaper brands do, and I've found it safe to use with highlighted hair.

You'll likely need to order it online while salons are closed, is the only thing.

Millem wrote: »
    Did you try Johnson’s Baby shampoo?

I thought baby shampoo would be too mild to do anything, but I will borrow my sons and give it a try. :)
    Faith wrote: »
    I love Joico Clarifying shampoo. It doesn't strip and damage hair the way cheaper brands do, and I've found it safe to use with highlighted hair.

You'll likely need to order it online while salons are closed, is the only thing.

I don't care if it's a fortune at this stage, I'd pay anything to get the crud off my hair. I look unwashed :(

I've ordered Joico Clarifying and Neutrogena Anti Residue shampoo and I'll give them both a go and report back. I thought I'd get two in case one doesn't suit, I'm that desperate.

Thanks Millem and Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Faith wrote: »

+ 1 for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Tresemme Clarifying shampoo is good. I have very thick hair and get lots of buildup but find this shampoo works really well without drying my hair out.

• Advertisement

I just couldn't find that Tresemme one Airy, I was told it was good alright. It would have been the first one I'd have tried but it's hard to get around here.

Both the Joico one and the Neutrogena one were delivered and I lathered and repeated with the Joico one. I'd stay my hair is about 80% back to normal, but needs another going over. I could only get the giant bottle of Joico (pricey!) so hopefully I'll get the use out of it over time. I might use the Neutrogena one tomorrow, just to try it out.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I now longer look like I emptied a chip pan on my head. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can use the Joico almost as a masque if you want. I’d often wet my hair, lather it on, then leave it sit for 10-15 mins. It’s likely to take a couple of goes to get your hair back to its normal state alright. With clarifying shampoos, you definitely have to balance effectiveness with potential damage to your hair! That’s why I like the Joico one, I’ve never felt like it stripped or damaged my hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Hi Candie

What site did you get them from? Looking for them myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Tresemme Clarifying shampoo is good. I have very thick hair and get lots of buildup but find this shampoo works really well without drying my hair out.
    I'm after getting that today in Dunnes, half price, so €3.74 for a massive bottle!

How often should you use these shampoos? I'm assuming not every wash. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Posy wrote: »
    I'm after getting that today in Dunnes, half price, so €3.74 for a massive bottle!

How often should you use these shampoos? I'm assuming not every wash. :/

Yes its great when theyre on sale & the bottles are so big they last ages.

I dont use it every wash, maybe just once a week or more or less depending on how my hair is.

My scalp used to be really itchy with buildup & I tried scalp scrubs and different shampoos but the tresemme clarifying was the only shampoo that worked for me. Hope it works for you too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

One of the best I've found is Alphaparf Semi De Lino Purifying. I used to get very irritated itchy scalp and my hairdresser recommended it for use once a week alternated with my regular shampoo. Found it really good without stripping my hair

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Redken Hair Cleansing Cream is fab, my hair is incredibly frizzy and prone to dryness but it's such a gentle and effective clarifying shampoo that it doesn't dry me out. I tend to use it every third or fourth wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cereal_Killer

Luna detox shampoo has been a game changer for me.

Advertisement