Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

CityLink bid to Buy GoBus

«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    I thought GoBus were the stronger of the two businesses, clearly not! They've both had a very tough year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭ GerardKeating


    I thought GoBus were the stronger of the two businesses, clearly not! They've both had a very tough year.

    CityLink are a large multinational corporation, GoBus have one route.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    I thought GoBus were the stronger of the two businesses, clearly not!

    Not necessarily that simple. CityLink have international backing.

    I'd guess that lots of family-owned businesses will be reassessing whether they want to do the re-building work through recovery, or if this is a good point to hand over / sell off to new management.

    I hope they're getting a good price for the business.

    GoBus have one route.

    Nope: Dublin/Galway, Dublin/Cork, Galway/Ballina.


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    CityLink are a large multinational corporation, GoBus have one route.

    Ah - I saw CityLink buses in Scotland but didn't realize these had a massive parent company.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭ ratracer


    Did the international CityLink already but the local city link from Burke’s in Tuam a few years ago?
    Think Burke them went on to set up GoBus as a rival to them, and now they’re buying him out again?
    At least that’s what I seem to recall from a few years ago. Shrewd business by GoBus if that’s correct.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    ratracer wrote: »
    Did the international CityLink already but the local city link from Burke’s in Tuam a few years ago?
    Think Burke them went on to set up GoBus as a rival to them, and now they’re buying him out again?
    At least that’s what I seem to recall from a few years ago. Shrewd business by GoBus if that’s correct.

    You're right! I was thinking it was a local business (at one point)!

    "Citylink, which is part of the Metroline Group, a wholly-owned division of the Singapore-owned DelGro Corporation, has paid an initial consideration of €1.34 million - plus €250,000 in deferred charges - for Cummer Commercials, owned by Mr Jim Burke, which operates the Citylink Express service on the Galway-Dublin-Dublin-Airport route."

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/scottish-bus-firm-to-start-services-in-republic-1.1106327?mode=amp


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Nooo! Some nice drivers with Citylink, but in general GoBus far superior with service, punctuality etc. You can tell the management style is trickling down.

    I thought they (GoBus) did some sort of a partnership with Bus Eireann a few years ago, so surprised at this.

    Wonder will cost go up with lack of competition?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    inisboffin wrote: »
    I thought they (GoBus) did some sort of a partnership with Bus Eireann a few years ago, so surprised at this.

    That was in Cork. It ended.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000


    Go bus and Burkes bus are two brothers who split in business several years ago. Both have vastly superiors customer service and drivers than city link. Citylink was bought out few years ago by a company based in Malta. It going to be a monopoly (city link) on the airport shuttle runs that will inevitably drive up prices significantly on these other wise excellent services.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ Pen Rua


    Great spot, thanks for sharing.

    I'm based in Cork nowadays but am reliant on CityLink to get me home to Galway. Usually, it's fine but we've had a number of incidents with punctuality, aggressive driving drivers as well as a detour that took us well over 4 hours to get home.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭ denartha


    Notch000 wrote: »
    Go bus and Burkes bus are two brothers who split in business several years ago. Both have vastly superiors customer service and drivers than city link. Citylink was bought out few years ago by a company based in Malta. It going to be a monopoly (city link) on the airport shuttle runs that will inevitably drive up prices significantly on these other wise excellent services.

    Never been on GoBus but have had zero issues with customer service on CityLink. I'm curious how superior can it get.

    Although some bus companies on the continent put us to shame. Many of those Ive travelled on had a steward, who you could summon, and buy beer, water and snacks from, while still moving. Many of our roads negate that possibility here though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo


    denartha wrote: »
    Never been on GoBus but have had zero issues with customer service on CityLink. I'm curious how superior can it get.

    Although some bus companies on the continent put us to shame. Many of those Ive travelled on had a steward, who you could summon, and buy beer, water and snacks from, while still moving. Many of our roads negate that possibility here though.
    We got a bus from Santander to Bilbao a couple of years ago and had complimentary water available as well as free earphones to use with the multimedia screens on the back of every seat. Some difference.


  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ Yyhhuuu


    I always liked the go bus drivers who were quite polished as regards customer service. I have also travelled with citylink but would personally opt for go bus. It's disappointing there will be less competition if they are taken over. I had a pre booked prepaid partially used 10 journey ticket booklet from citylink. It took several correspondence to citylink to eventually receive a cash refund once the first lockdown arrived and I could no longer travel. They offered to re-date the tickets initially which I had not wanted. I'm very glad it was eventually sorted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    GoBus also announced their ‘frequent flyer’ programme would be removed with almost no notice for customers, and no offer to reinstate them as it was to be a new system (now we know why). Most people lost them. It was a pity and I wrote to them. Disappointed as otherwise their service had been excellent.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    inisboffin wrote:
    Nooo! Some nice drivers with Citylink, but in general GoBus far superior with service, punctuality etc. You can tell the management style is trickling down.


    Except there is little space between seats in GoBus and you end up having to put your legs sideways or else end up with crunched knees.
    Both companies generally excellent service however and it will be interesting to see how things develop. As long as choices remain that's good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,589 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson


    GoBus was brilliant :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    Sure give it a few months and the Burkes will set up their 3rd Galway-Dublin express bus service and we'll have the €1 ticket price war again for a while. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000


    denartha wrote: »
    Never been on GoBus but have had zero issues with customer service on CityLink. I'm curious how superior can it get.

    Although some bus companies on the continent put us to shame. Many of those Ive travelled on had a steward, who you could summon, and buy beer, water and snacks from, while still moving. Many of our roads negate that possibility here though.

    il give you 2 examples.

    We arrived in a little late or arrived v early into Dublin and tried to catch the bus at the airport pick up. I rand ahead to gobus while queuing at passport control and they txt back and said they would have the driver wait 5 mins for us. Great !!

    We had a very similar instance with city link and after sprinting to catch the bus we made it and got out in front of it at the pedestrian crossing while the bus was just taking off (a couple of min early than scheduled too) and the drive basically blew us out of it and actually cut us off at the crossing. Not so great


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    That's a tricky one Notch000, other passengers could have the opposite opinion from the bus being delayed waiting for one or two late passengers. It's a tricky balance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000


    its the personal touch that lost there between the two


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    Notch000 wrote: »
    il give you 2 examples.

    We arrived in a little late or arrived v early into Dublin and tried to catch the bus at the airport pick up. I rand ahead to gobus while queuing at passport control and they txt back and said they would have the driver wait 5 mins for us. Great !!

    We had a very similar instance with city link and after sprinting to catch the bus we made it and got out in front of it at the pedestrian crossing while the bus was just taking off (a couple of min early than scheduled too) and the drive basically blew us out of it and actually cut us off at the crossing. Not so great

    Umm, I'm not sure the driver is the issue in your example.


  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ Yyhhuuu


    I have travelled with both and I always preferred Go Bus. The go bus drivers were always very very friendly. They were well trained in customer service. I felt as if my custom was appreciated with this company. I had one bad experience with a go bus driver ( but felt this was a one-off, but not happy with way dealt with by office, who incorrectly accused me of skipping the Q, and I was a frequent traveller) and brought my business to citylink for about a year but I always intended moving back to go bus. It's a pitty if it's true go bus are leaving.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭ gordongekko


    I suspect we'll see increased prices due to reduced competition


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    bobbyss wrote: »
    Except there is little space between seats in GoBus and you end up having to put your legs sideways or else end up with crunched knees.

    I used to travel a lot on buses so I noticed a huge range. Some GoBus buses were newer and had more space, same with Citylink. But the latter always had the worst wifi even on the newer buses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ Yyhhuuu


    I prefer go bus customer service but the seats in their buses were not level which for me they need to be as I have a back problem, so I used to place a towel or newspaper underneath to make level. Mind you it's been a while since I travelled with them but they may have changed fleet since. They always had a modern fleet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Yyhhuuu wrote:
    I prefer go bus customer service but the seats in their buses were not level which for me they need to be as I have a back problem, so I used to place a towel or newspaper underneath to make level. Mind you it's been a while since I travelled with them but they may have changed fleet since. They always had a modern fleet.


    What do you mean by the seats not being 'level'?


  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ Yyhhuuu


    bobbyss wrote: »
    What do you mean by the seats not being 'level'?

    The seats are slanted, at least they were when I travelled about 2 years ago. I think it was a Volvo coach. They always kept their fleet in great condition


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Yyhhuuu wrote:
    The seats are slanted, at least they were when I travelled about 2 years ago. I think it was a Volvo coach. They always kept their fleet in great condition


    I don't know about the seats being slanted but either go or citylink have slanted pull down trays making them useless. Everything you on them slides off. Most annoying.


  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9


    nothing better after a hard week of college in dublin and hearing the galway accent on the gobus drivers :) (and im not even from galway)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ geekychick


    denartha wrote: »
    Never been on GoBus but have had zero issues with customer service on CityLink. I'm curious how superior can it get.

    Although some bus companies on the continent put us to shame. Many of those Ive travelled on had a steward, who you could summon, and buy beer, water and snacks from, while still moving. Many of our roads negate that possibility here though.

    Oh gawd. This reminds me, a couple of years ago, travelling from Austria to the Czech Republic. Might have been Flix bus, cos they’re absolutely everywhere. Anyway, there was actually a little dispenser station with a jug of steaming hot coffee, and real coffee cups and all the trimmings, that you could serve yourself from. On a moving bus! :eek: I could barely believe my eyes. I remember turning to the folks I was with, going: “Well, this is one thing you’d never see in Ireland. A litigious disaster begging to happen!”

    Or am I being too cynical? :D

    Another vote here for GoBus over the CityLink, as well. I found their buses roomier and more comfy. However, I didn’t find any notable difference between those two on the customer service side of things.


Advertisement