Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Chair Wheels?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Okay. I did a search. This board came up most. Maybe because we all sit in our chairs, at our computers? I, effectively, spend my waking hours in mine. And it's doing my head in. And my eyes. And my feet. And .....

Got a set of these, to replace the plastic castors which struggled on my stone concrete floor:

Wheels.jpg

Great wheels! Too Great! A gentle breeze could send my chair flying now. And my damn floor slopes back from my desk :( I literally have a bungee on it. To stop it rolling back to the wall when I stand up.

Where might I buy a single wheel ~ that stem and overall height ~ with a brake, please?

Or, any other remedies?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks, Con. I'd actually been looking for a Single locking wheel. But, at that price? I'd get five of them. If one doesn't last ..? I'd happily pay more, for a purposed wheel. But, yeah, they seem like a plan :)

Unless anyone has Another solution to my problem? I wonder if a short bit of Arris Rail might do it? Just trying to figure the logistics of jamming that one wheel. Again and again. Day in, day out.

The iron is that I replaced the old, plastic casters, because I was having to virtually hump the whole chair round. They didn't roll. These buggers are like greased graphite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭con747

Buy a cheap rug or mat and put it underneath it so, that will stop them moving.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Good point. But, sadly, one that blows my arris rail notion out of reality too :(

Dogs. I have Dogs here and, thinking about it? They'd think any scraps of material on the floor was great sport. Bit of wood wouldn't last five minutes. Bit of rug? They'd be sucking it in no time.

Know what? It's come to me ~ focusing so much on this problem: What if I just rip one wheel off?

Think about it. I have five. Rip the 'back' one off. Wonder if that would cause the chair to tilt back onto its 'chassis' at that point? Okay, it'd probably not be an ideal situation. But, what would?

Seriously: My chair's rolling too far back from my screen. I'm leaning forward, to see. Tensing my spine and legs, trying to hold myself here. I hurt! I also try jambing my shoe toe under the 'front' wheel. That hurts too!

The iron! I bought these wonderful wheels, because the old, plastic castors were stiff and grinding. It was like shoving myself around. Now? Polar opposite. I want Not to slickly slide. (Be careful what we wish for!)

It's getting in and out of the chair I need to concentrate on. Surely, since chairs were made, man has sat down. Shunted his chair into his desk. Got on with it! Wheels don't effect the side to side swivel of the seat ...

Know what? I may even try just ripping All the wheels off. Treating it as a swivelly version of a 'normal' chair. Except it'll be 2" lower than I'm used to :(

What a can of worms!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    Good point. But, sadly, one that blows my arris rail notion out of reality too :(

Dogs. I have Dogs here and, thinking about it? They'd think any scraps of material on the floor was great sport. Bit of wood wouldn't last five minutes. Bit of rug? They'd be sucking it in no time.

Know what? It's come to me ~ focusing so much on this problem: What if I just rip one wheel off?

Think about it. I have five. Rip the 'back' one off. Wonder if that would cause the chair to tilt back onto its 'chassis' at that point? Okay, it'd probably not be an ideal situation. But, what would?

Seriously: My chair's rolling too far back from my screen. I'm leaning forward, to see. Tensing my spine and legs, trying to hold myself here. I hurt! I also try jambing my shoe toe under the 'front' wheel. That hurts too!

The iron! I bought these wonderful wheels, because the old, plastic castors were stiff and grinding. It was like shoving myself around. Now? Polar opposite. I want Not to slickly slide. (Be careful what we wish for!)

It's getting in and out of the chair I need to concentrate on. Surely, since chairs were made, man has sat down. Shunted his chair into his desk. Got on with it! Wheels don't effect the side to side swivel of the seat ...

Know what? I may even try just ripping All the wheels off. Treating it as a swivelly version of a 'normal' chair. Except it'll be 2" lower than I'm used to :(

What a can of worms!

Super glue the wheels so can't turn or is that not an option either.

Yesssss!!!

It's only taken me All Bloody Day ~ Don't take my word for this. You try finding sit down braking (Or however ye want to describe it to google) wheels! What a nightmare! All ".com " and won't ship out of USA.

God loves a trier though and I'm his blue eyed boy! :D

Untitled.jpg

Stigura wrote: »
    Yesssss!!!

It's only taken me All Bloody Day ~ Don't take my word for this. You try finding sit down braking (Or however ye want to describe it to google) wheels! What a nightmare! All ".com " and won't ship out of USA.

God loves a trier though and I'm his blue eyed boy! :D

Untitled.jpg
    Post No6 had them on it if you looked.

Our Somalian poster? Oh, I looked, ducky. Now, You look, and see it ye can buy the things through that link. That's where I started ;)

By the way, for anyone else wanting some? Jedec.uk

"ducky" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement