Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house new line future plans questions.

Options
  • 06-03-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I’m in the lucky position where I will be able to build a house on my partners parents land on 1/2 acre site. They just got 1gb fiber available to them last week only 6 houses around them. My question is what’s the story with getting a new line with Eir in the new house. The house will be around 50m from there’s but having good internet speed is vital to me even more than electricity 🙈. I’ve heard that eir can be hard to deal with in relation to this. I know I can temporarily run a Ethernet from there’s to the new house but I’m concerned they only upgraded the fiber to their house as it’s the last house on the road. I know I prob explained this Ass but hopefully something can help me plan in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Depends what Openeir rollout has occurred in your specific area

1) Openeir Rural -> 4-8 houses per Distribution Point
    2) Openeir IFN (Urban) -> 12 houses per Distribution Point

- If your inlaws only had fibre made available recently, then I am assuming its the IFN rollout?
    - Getting a new house indexed to a DP with Eir is difficult with no known process as far as I know, this along with it having free ports would also be required as you wouldnt be able to take one of the neighbours ports if there arent any spare.
    - Possibly, contacting a local TD might help as they would have an Eir contact they could get in touch with to plead a case.
    - You certainly need an Eircode from the get-go to even be able to consider starting to try and get a house added to a DP.
    - How close is the DP to your inlaws house? ie. is it near your in-laws house and connected over one pole or more?
    - How close also would it be to where your proposed new build would be?
    - Check your in-laws Eircode on the NBI website also, they might also be due to be connected to this separate fibre network, Eir is encroaching on NBI approved areas meaning some houses will have potentially two separate fibre networks available to them
    - If your in-laws are down to receive fibre from NBI also, then your yet to be built house could be likely added to this more easilly

Last option, run a duct from in-laws to your new build, install Cat6 cable or better, or also a wireless point to point link could be utulized

Advertisement