Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting gravestone photo?

Options
  • 06-03-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea of how I could get someone local to take and send me a photo of the gravestone of my great-great-great grandparents? It's in the Catholic parish of St Finian's, Clonard, Co Meath. It's a high cross with their names, their son Patrick and his wife and children. Their names on the front of the gravestone are Matthew Kelly and Mary Kelly, maiden name Riley/Reilly.

Their other seven children, including my gt gt grandmother Eliza Kelly, all immigrated to New York. Patrick stayed for the farm. He had four children. None married and all remained on the farm til death. So no descendants from them to ask. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of how I could get someone local to take and send me a photo of the gravestone of my great-great-great grandparents? It's in the Catholic parish of St Finian's, Clonard, Co Meath. It's a high cross with their names, their son Patrick and his wife and children. Their names on the front of the gravestone are Matthew Kelly and Mary Kelly, maiden name Riley/Reilly.

Their other seven children, including my gt gt grandmother Eliza Kelly, all immigrated to New York. Patrick stayed for the farm. He had four children. None married and all remained on the farm til dehttps://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2395980/saint-finian's-cemeteryath. So no descendants from them to ask. Thanks.

Do you think the local parish office might be able to help? There are also often local history sites or graveyard site that might be able to help combined with google maps?

there are also sites like
    this

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2395980/saint-finian's-cemetery

I’ve done a basic search for the graveyard by name & county and found a half dozen images of high crosses without even any effort. Could be yours! I didn’t bother zooming to read...

We are all locked into our houses and not allowed go into work or move 5k from our doors for a walk - google might be your best friend at the moment!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Could you post in the Meath forum?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you checked is it in the Irish Gravestones Project?

If not, the person who took photos there before might be able to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions. The irony is that I visited this church and cemetery for other ancestors the year before I found my Kelly-Riley ancestors so must have walked right past this gravestone. I have partial photos from a cousin who was there some years ago but would like a nice photo of the full gravestone.

St Finian's RC Church, Clonard, Co Meath is part of the parish of Kinnegad, Co Westmeath. I haven't had luck with the parish office in the past--part-time secretary is understandably too busy to deal with genealogy tho they were very nice when I visited.

I looked at the IGP but they only have a few gravestone photos from this cemetery and not the one I need. But perhaps I can contact the person who took those.

You are right that with the pandemic it has to be someone local. Will give a think and very glad to hear any other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

I'd try a local Facebook page, might be your best bet. Something like Clonard GAA should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I would try the IGP Westmeath Facebook page and you might get one of the very helpful IGP personnel to respond to your query.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for that but I'm not on Facebook so unfortunately not an option. But genealogy might cause me to change my mind about Facebook.

I knew I had encountered this graveyard before but had the wrong place in mind last night.

Photos of headstones at Clonard graveyard are available at the enfieldgraveyards.com website.

I'm guessing this is the headstone your are interested in. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a photo of the side panel but at least all of the details appear to have been transcribed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's it! Thank you so much, Hermy. I don't know how I would have found this site without your help. It's excellent. My cousin did take photos of the panels with names & dates so no worries. It was the full gravestone I was looking for.

I am so grateful and really appreciate everyone's suggestions and of course Hermy's solution.

Delighted to have found it for you. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement