Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever given up modern tech for a simpler bike?

Options
  • 06-03-2021 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭

I've got a bike with essentially everything you can ask for (it's a Giant TCR, Ultegra Di2, discs, power meter, carbon wheels, tubeless). Also have a winter and a gravel bike but that is a different story.

I almost bought a Caad 10 this morning. I'd like a rim brake, simpler bike. I'd keep the TCR (and tbh I probably wouldn't go back on tubeless).

Has anyone made a similar switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I had Synapse Hi Mod hydraulic brakes. Just didn’t get on with the hydraulics (probably due to mechanical ineptitude on my part) so moved back to all rim brake, tubed clinchers wheels. Have mix of carbon and steel and am more than happy with them. Look good, easy to service.
    Don’t see myself moving to discs unless no choice.

Though I did buy second hand etap groupset yet to build up (summer time). First dabble in non mechanical. Will see how goes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Probably not what you're looking for but my bike for everyday use has no gimmicks, a single speed. I bought it, so I wouldn't have to do any maintenance with it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ultegra Di2, discs, power meter, carbon wheels, tubeless
    my 'good' bike doesn't have Di2, discs, power meter, carbon wheels, or tubeless tyres. i don't think you'd call it agrarian, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought a Kona Unit January 1st.
    Single speed. Adore it ;)
    32 x 18. Steel.

rREgDMvl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

my 'good' bike doesn't have Di2, discs, power meter, carbon wheels, or tubeless tyres. i don't think you'd call it agrarian, though.
    No and I don't think you need any of them tbh. The CAAD10 was 850€, almost unused, Ultegra 6800. I don't think you would notice any difference performance wise compared to a 4k+ Giant TCR with all of those bells and whistles.

Di2 is great - do you need it? Absolutely not. Carbon wheels are expensive to replace. Power meter unnecessary unless you are training seriously. I do like tubeless but again not necessary at all. Discs are useful on the commuter or gravel bike - on the Sunday best absolutely not needed. Tbh having a rim brake road bike is one of my reasons that I considered this.

I'm maxed out in terms of bike space as I live in an apartment, I'd need to offload a bike I keep on the turbo to fit it which is why I didn't buy it, but I'm strongly considering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

CAAD 10 is an absolutely classic - a pure example of racing simplicity. If you have a line on one take it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No and I don't think you need any of them tbh.
    i can certainly see the benefits of some of those technologies if you're racing, or training for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I found myself thinking similar, not bragging but I have more bikes than most bike shops at the moment and started to lose interest in the whole lot. I built a few unique single speed bikes and the simplicity of them and the ability to just jump on a bike without throwing on all the gear is just class. Gravel bikes are also cool imo the ability to get off the road and onto a random dirt track or forest is great.

i've recently sold two bikes, so am down to a measly 4 now.

Aside from one each at my parents and in-laws, I have four in a 2-bed apartment - the TCR, winter or main bike, new gravel bike and a cheap bike on the turbo (plus two Brompton's - one of which is the wife's only bike) - but no rim-braked road bike at home.

I'm hoping that she understands that it is "an absolutely classic - a pure example of racing simplicity" though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭hesker

The last bike I bought was made in 1986.

I need to start selling. It’s getting a bit ridiculous. 2 frames in the attic and one under the bed. I don’t want to count the number fully built up.

we need a boards car boot sale again when the pox is done and dusted.

we need a boards car boot sale again when the pox is done and dusted.

I'd only end up buying more :D

the problem with the one i went to was everyone was a seller and no-one was buying.

the problem with the one i went to was everyone was a seller and no-one was buying.

Oh god I'd be a lamb to slaughter :eek:

there were bargains to be had. i think beasty was selling new (boxed) 10 speed ultegra RDs for a tenner each.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I bought one of these for my wife having just sold a frame I'm not at 5 in the house.

Turbo bike, good weather bike, go anywhere bike (croix de fer) and my lovely newly built touring bike that's useless for touring at present.

I'm figuring the urge to buy 2 frames available right now. I'd need to part with at least 1 of my current crop to justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Have 2 road bikes, I kept my Giant Defy as an everyday bike and it's been great to learn about maintenance on a less advanced bike. Sora parts are cheap and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

i can certainly see the benefits of some of those technologies if you're racing, or training for it though.

Sorry this is off-topic but I can't find the thread in searches - did you sell that titanium genesis after? Or if you have a link to the thread so I can ask you about it there :)

I had a genesis for sale, but not a Ti one. The bike Weepsie mentions buying is the equilibrium I was selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

All rim brakes and mechanical gears here across 2 summer carbons with carbon wheelsets , ultegra , winter bikes one cheap carbon frame with ultegra with Zonda's, an old caad9 ultegra wiyh fulcrum quattro s. Most of my cycling buddies are all on carbon frames , cstbon wheelset with Di2 and disc brakes.
    Almost forgot a 1992 steel frame with DuraAce with a set of mavic cpx v rim wheelset.. mechanical of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I had a genesis for sale, but not a Ti one. The bike Weepsie mentions buying is the equilibrium I was selling.

Sorry that was the one I meant - I should have said steel but was distracted by another thread I was reading! If it's not a steel bike I'm thinking of I better go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

If the CAAD's a 58, put me in touch!

Plastik wrote: »
    If the CAAD's a 58, put me in touch!

It was a 54 - someone selling it on my club's Facebook but it went quickly. I might bite next time one pops up for sale though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I ordered a new Mercian frame a few years ago. Built to measure and at the time I had a new set of Dura Ace down tube levers (10 speed) lying around. I built it up myself with rim brakes and the down tube levers. A new bike in an old style but I really like the old style shifting. Very easy to replace a cable and the fact that there is no indexing on the front derailleur makes life simple. Never any chain rub on the front derailleur in any combination of gearing as you can manually adjust it..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

What are people’s opinions on tech and cycling? I’m a recent convert from rowing where on the water, your computer told you your cadence and concept 2 indoor told you cadence and watts. I’m overwhelmed with the amount of tech in cycling, at the mo I’ve no bike computer and have a smart trainer. Enjoying the change but in terms of starting out racing what would ye consider essential pieces of equipment for club racing and A4 racing? Thinking of investing in the wahoo element bolt bike computer to structure workouts when outside

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    What are people’s opinions on tech and cycling? I’m a recent convert from rowing where on the water, your computer told you your cadence and concept 2 indoor told you cadence and watts. I’m overwhelmed with the amount of tech in cycling, at the mo I’ve no bike computer and have a smart trainer. Enjoying the change but in terms of starting out racing what would ye consider essential pieces of equipment for club racing and A4 racing? Thinking of investing in the wahoo element bolt bike computer to structure workouts when outside

Honestly........... your bike, shoes, helmet and club kit. That's all you need. Up to you then after that but nothing other than those are 'essential'.

In saying that I got a power meter in November last and it has totally transformed my training. I went for long enough without one though but when only 4 months in I'm beginning to wonder how I could ever train without one again🙈.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I ordered a new Mercian frame a few years ago. Built to measure and at the time I had a new set of Dura Ace down tube levers (10 speed) lying around. I built it up myself with rim brakes and the down tube levers. A new bike in an old style but I really like the old style shifting. Very easy to replace a cable and the fact that there is no indexing on the front derailleur makes life simple. Never any chain rub on the front derailleur in any combination of gearing as you can manually adjust it..
    I'd have to say I've been disappointed by indexed gears, and the later integrated shifter-brakes (brifters) development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Have Di2 on the good bike and yesterday morning made me seriously think about not getting it again when the rear derailleur got mangled in the back wheel. Broke the derailleur and rear hanger so at ~€550 for a new one I quickly downgraded to Ultegra which was still €280, an expensive mechanical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have Di2 on the good bike and yesterday morning made me seriously think about not getting it again when the rear derailleur got mangled in the back wheel. Broke the derailleur and rear hanger so at ~€550 for a new one I quickly downgraded to Ultegra which was still €280, an expensive mechanical!

This is why I don’t or won’t have D12 as I honestly could afford to replace parts at those prices. That said I’ve never used it so it’s an easy choice for me to make.

Advertisement