Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to a long vacant property.

Options
  • 06-03-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hey all,

We have put an offer in on a property and it has been vacant for 5 years (repossession) It has not had water, electricity and gas on for all this time.

What would be the procedure for turning this all back on? Would it be safe to just turn it all back on?

I don't think the surveyor would check that out as they would not be qualified to turn gas on etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Safe to assume there will be some repairs needed in terms if faulty pipes / lines if they havent been used for some time so it might cost you a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ESB have these conditions when 2 years disconnected...
    If your house has been disconnected for more than two years, apply online . In line with HSE Guidelines and recent Government Restrictions, ESB Networks is only accepting applications via our Online Connections Platform until further notice. Any customer who cannot access our Online Platform should email esbnetworks@esb.ie for assistance.

A site visit may be required to assess the situation. If no additional work is required to bring the connection point up to current standards, the house can be reconnected on payment of a re-energisation charge. However, if the connection point is not up to current standards it is treated as a new connection and a new connection charge applies. You will then be issued with a quotation as a fee is payable before your house can be reconnected. You may also be required to provide ducting on the site (PDF | 1MB).

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/reconnecting-supply

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gas would be the biggest worry for me, I would turn it on first and listen and sniff without turning anything else on, then the water and then the power circuit by circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Thanks for your replies I'll look into in all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Get an RGI plumber out to check the gas supply and any boiler/cooker/pipes etc. No idea what it costs, but a gas boiler service is about 80-100eu. An rgi supplier can do a report to certify that everything is in good order but don't know how much it costs, maybe a few hundred? Also a RECI electrician will do a full electric check for all the wiring & electrical appliances, that's around 350 I think. Best of luck with the new house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Water is easy. Turn the stopcock.

Esb - it will need reregistration, inspection and cert by reci certified electrician.

Did it recently on something similar. ESB cost was about €90, electrician was about €550, but it took 2 months.

Not sure about gas

Advertisement