Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I upgrade on this bike

Options
  • 05-03-2021 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭

falcon mtb.jpg

Can I do any upgrades on the bike or is it time to get a new bike?

Mine is 22 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

cena wrote: »
    falcon mtb.jpg

Mine is 22 years old.

It's probably not worth putting new components on it, unless it has some serious sentimental value.

If you want to still cycle it, new tyres, new cables and housing, new brake pads, and give it a general service (regrease headset bearings etc)

After that hop on it and cycle away.

*Edit* if you're looking for a project, it'd probably be a good contender for converting to single speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

cletus wrote: »
    It's probably not worth putting new components on it, unless it has some serious sentimental value.

If you want to still cycle it, new tyres, new cables and housing, new brake pads, and give it a general service (regrease headset bearings etc)

After that hop on it and cycle away

My gran brought it for me starting secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

My gran brought it for me starting secondary school

Only you know what the bike is actually worth to you.

The likelihood is that if you do what I suggested, it'll be perfectly useable, and last another 22 years. It looks like it was well cared for and stored

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Triggers brush - you can upgrade the frame, groupset, wheels, cables, tyres, saddle, seatpost, handlebars, stem.

You can do one of these things or any combination right up to all of them.

Note: upgrading all of them = new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

falcon mtb.jpg

Mine is 22 years old.

Why do you think you need to upgrade it? if it's 22 years old and hasn't been touched the brake pads and tyres could probably do with an upgrade.

It looks like a nice bike for tipping about on and perfect for the school run. What type of riding do you normally do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Nothing really to add - depends on what you want to do/ need to do (i.e. intended usage) and the sentimentality.

A lot of options, but if you decide to either give it a service or turn it into a project then keep the thread updated - I love seeing projects come to fruition, especially nice to have a story to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

falcon mtb.jpg

Mine is 22 years old.

Depends what kind of cycling you want to do.
    Assuming the chain and gears and all that are road worthy personally I would change the saddle and put some end bars on the handlebars and always worth changing the brake pads too. Even pretty cheap modern parts would be more advanced than the stuff on there and you could probably do it all for less than €100 total and have a comfortable short cummuter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd put it away and it another 20 years it will be a novelty. Get a new bike in the interim.

Advertisement