Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD Label printer and rolls for free?

Options
  • 05-03-2021 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently switching from Fastway to DPD for my online deliveries.

I was looking at buying the Zebra GK420d label printer and a box of thermal rolls.

Then on another forum, an Irish vendor said that DPD supplies them with free labels and another vendor claims that DPD gave them the Zebra printer FOC.

Don't mind buying the printer myself, but free labels would be great.

Anyone any experience with this?

Thanks.

(I posted this here as I think the Courier forum is more retail based)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I get my printer and rolls for free from DPD. They will send out someone to setup the printer and give you a very brief guide to how it works. This is all dependent on your monthly shipping figures.

Alternatively, the labels can be printed on A4 paper and either stuck to the box or put in a documents enclosed envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

hairyslug wrote: »
    I get my printer and rolls for free from DPD. They will send out someone to setup the printer and give you a very brief guide to how it works. This is all dependent on your monthly shipping figures.

Alternatively, the labels can be printed on A4 paper and either stuck to the box or put in a documents enclosed envelope.
    Can I ask, what are dpd charging you per box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Sure, €5.50 + VAT and surcharges within IRL

Although the bulk of my packages are small, light poly bags.
    Not much larger than an A4 sheet of paper and weighing approx 200g - 300g

Can I ask, what are dpd charging you per box?

€4.65 + vat, our quantities increased over the past 12 months and we were able to negotiate a lower price.

I was talking to my An Post rep and they are bringing out a small e-commerce option this year, I'm waiting to hear back but maybe it's something you could look into.

€4.65 + vat, our quantities increased over the past 12 months and we were able to negotiate a lower price.

I was talking to my An Post rep and they are bringing out a small e-commerce option this year, I'm waiting to hear back but maybe it's something you could look into.

Been with DPD for a good few years and always great service really. However rates have gone from 4.24 at the start to 8.65+vat after a couple of jumps. Our boxes weigh on average 20-25Kg but we wouldn't be sending major quantities. Got an email a few days ago saying the annual review with a 5% increase coming again. Don't know what to do. I would love to change but an post would be my second choice. Interested to see what they would offer , would need them to collect from our location though, do an post do that? I should contact them I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

There's a place I know who use DPD and they said they supplied the label printer for them like others have said

I wouldn't be waiting for An Post to bring out anything innovative anytime soon :D

I'm posting using their old docket system and its a pain in the ar*e having to write them out or more often bother someone to write them out, I tried to contact them about an alternative but their business team seems to be staffed by nobody.

I was very close to switching to DPD late last year as they were offering a very similar price to An Post but I have an all mac computer setup and apparently their online booking system only works with windows pc's (the lad from the sales team was banging on about some firewall or some sh*te like that) and that immediately put that idea to bed.

Out of curiosity does any DPD customers here use a mac & DPD's booking system?

gary550 wrote: »
    There's a place I know who use DPD and they said they supplied the label printer for them like others have said

I wouldn't be waiting for An Post to bring out anything innovative anytime soon :D

I'm posting using their old docket system and its a pain in the ar*e having to write them out or more often bother someone to write them out, I tried to contact them about an alternative but their business team seems to be staffed by nobody.

I was very close to switching to DPD late last year as they were offering a very similar price to An Post but I have an all mac computer setup and apparently their online booking system only works with windows pc's (the lad from the sales team was banging on about some firewall or some sh*te like that) and that immediately put that idea to bed.

Out of curiosity does any DPD customers here use a mac & DPD's booking system?
    Dpd updated their system about a year ago. Used to be a dedicated package but now runs on any browser. I assume apple too, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Maybe double check that the printer you intend to use is mac compatible.
    Just a thought!

Not sure what to do now. I have two options.

Buy the Zebra GK420d and a box of rolls and be ready for when the DPD guy arrives to set up my PC.

Buy nothing, play dumb and hope he has one in his van lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Those printers are quite cheap at about €300 and I reckon dpd pay far less that that.

Yes they supply the printer and set up the app on your PC. Might be worth having a standalone pc for DPD.

5.50+ vat is on the expensive side for Irish deliveries. We don't do huge volume with them on domestic (mainly use them for international) and rate is 4.36, but increasing 5% in April (across the board increase on all accounts it seems)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rossdarragh1

Sure, €5.50 + VAT and surcharges within IRL

Although the bulk of my packages are small, light poly bags.
    Not much larger than an A4 sheet of paper and weighing approx 200g - 300g

How many packages do you deliver? I'd have 10-15 packages one day a week to deliver. Would DPD call to my home to collect them or is the quantity too low. Predominantly Jiffy bags with a couple of small boxes not weighing more that 1kg. I'm currently dropping deliveries to my local an Post post point. Home is in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rossdarragh1

How many packages do you deliver? I'd have 10-15 packages one day a week to deliver. Would DPD call to my home to collect them or is the quantity too low. Predominantly Jiffy bags with a couple of small boxes not weighing more that 1kg. I'm currently dropping deliveries to my local an Post post point. Home is in a rural area.

Also the products I sell if of quite a high value. How do I go about taking out insurance to cover the product while in transit?

Also the products I sell if of quite a high value. How do I go about taking out insurance to cover the product while in transit?

The insurance is incorporated in the DPD label software, (I'm not sure of the additional costs as we don't insure)

Not sure about the a pick up for 10-15 once a week but they do operate drop off points (a quick Google will locate your closest one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Depends of what "high value" is. €50 or €500 as different people have different views on what high value is.

DPD possibly won't quote for that small a volume, so I would suspect the an post standard tracked parcel service may be the best option https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL Just under €6
    Particularly good if you are not vat registered as its vat exempt whereas all courier services are + vat

Whilst not insured, it is tracked and it would allow you package in small boxes if that suits better.

DPD is insured, but it's a pain to make a claim and its €15 per kg. (up to 100kg) Additional insurance is extra.

Advertisement