Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Litter

  • 05-03-2021 11:33am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ Redkite200


    On Monday I was in the city for an appointment close to Woodquay, I had to wait around for a while to be seen so I decided to get some fresh air and stretched my legs.

    Took a short walk down by Riverside overlooking the Corrib (adjacent the cathedral if you will) and was shocked and angered to see the whole river path covered in rubbish and empty drink and food containers. It was absolutely disgusting. :mad:

    I'm going to hazard a guess that the fine weather last weekend attracted a crowd to hang out there. I would have thought though that the local residents would have called the gardai if they saw a big gathering there as I'd presume they would have made a fair racket as well.

    (I'm not here to wag fingers about Covid related rules etc. just raising awareness about the littering)

    What's more infuriating is you can probably take it that a fair amount of rubbish ended up in the river as well given it was literally all over the footpath and I think the sole bin I noticed there was overflowing.

    A friend who lives in Renmore told me Ballyloughane was in an awful state after the weekend aswell.

    To cap it off, on my drive home I saw a huge bag of mcdonalds wrappers had been tossed out of a car window by some assholes.

    What the f*ck is wrong with people nowadays. Sickening behaviour.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭ zell12


    It's everywhere. Even shopping bags full of rubbish left at bus stops.
    It's us who is doing it, we want it that way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    I've never seen do many going around with bags, some are nice enough to empty all their house waste into the street bins.
    Funny as most of these wouldn't be short money especially as many would be on the special pup payment too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ Redkite200


    zell12 wrote: »
    It's us who is doing it, we want it that way.

    Eh? :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    It's not necessarily large crowds.

    Just lots of small, well spaced groups will make a fair bit of rubbish when all venues are takeaway-only.

    Yes, they should take their rubbish either them.

    In practice, almost no-one does.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭ beardybrewer


    I've stopped myself picking up "strange" litter countless time since the pandemic. I'd imagine there's a lot fewer good samaritans cleaning up after people these days.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ Redkite200


    I've stopped myself picking up "strange" litter countless time since the pandemic. I'd imagine there's a lot fewer good samaritans cleaning up after people these days.

    Yeah for sure. Just sad that some people lack the common decency and respect for their own community or public spaces to not dispose of their litter the utter cretins.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭ zell12


    Redkite200 wrote: »
    Eh? :confused:
    As opposed to tourists or out-of-towners


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭ kippy


    Redkite200 wrote: »
    On Monday I was in the city for an appointment close to Woodquay, I had to wait around for a while to be seen so I decided to get some fresh air and stretched my legs.

    Took a short walk down by Riverside overlooking the Corrib (adjacent the cathedral if you will) and was shocked and angered to see the whole river path covered in rubbish and empty drink and food containers. It was absolutely disgusting. :mad:

    I'm going to hazard a guess that the fine weather last weekend attracted a crowd to hang out there. I would have thought though that the local residents would have called the gardai if they saw a big gathering there as I'd presume they would have made a fair racket as well.

    (I'm not here to wag fingers about Covid related rules etc. just raising awareness about the littering)

    What's more infuriating is you can probably take it that a fair amount of rubbish ended up in the river as well given it was literally all over the footpath and I think the sole bin I noticed there was overflowing.

    A friend who lives in Renmore told me Ballyloughane was in an awful state after the weekend aswell.

    To cap it off, on my drive home I saw a huge bag of mcdonalds wrappers had been tossed out of a car window by some assholes.

    What the f*ck is wrong with people nowadays. Sickening behaviour.
    There's a cohort of people who don't give a fcuk in general about their civic responsibility and/or rules in general. You see a lot of it and tbh I don't think it's anything new. You'll also these people use every excuse under the sun to blame someone else or another entity if they are challenged on their behaviour.
    The same happening every when it comes to dog fouling and a few other things you see going on.
    Just a real 'me fein' vibe and thinking nothing about others or their environment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    kippy wrote: »
    There's a cohort of people who don't give a fcuk in general about their civic responsibility and/or rules in general. You see a lot of it and tbh I don't think it's anything new. You'll also these people use every excuse under the sun to blame someone else or another entity if they are challenged on their behaviour.
    The same happening every when it comes to dog fouling and a few other things you see going on.
    Just a real 'me fein' vibe and thinking nothing about others or their environment.

    It is worse now, people are just dumping anything and everything anywhere.
    Do see some even dump right outside their houses as council will just collect. This is in Dublin I see a lot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭ Discodog


    It is worse now, people are just dumping anything and everything anywhere.
    Do see some even dump right outside their houses as council will just collect. This is in Dublin I see a lot.

    I was at the back of Riverside & a group of early twenties returned to their car, emptied their McDonalds bags on the road & drove off.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Discodog wrote: »
    I was at the back of Riverside & a group of early twenties returned to their car, emptied their McDonalds bags on the road & drove off.

    Yeah any takeaway will be thrown from moving cats etc.... One thing though at least most of that is paper.... Not good but at least it will disintegrate.

    Sure see it all the time, person gets off bus coffee cup in hand, takes last swig, walks past a bin and ****s it over a wall into a river.... These people are as thick as 2 planks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ mo_bhicycle


    County roads are in a terrible state too. Supermacs and McDonald’s wrappers everywhere, combined with cheap beer and cider cans. A 100m section has three 3litre vodka bottles. The local school car park is also full of it and I filled a black bin bag with that kind of rubbish at our local woods recently. I’m assuming it’s boy racers that are responsible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭ Galwayguy35


    County roads are in a terrible state too. Supermacs and McDonald’s wrappers everywhere, combined with cheap beer and cider cans. A 100m section has three 3litre vodka bottles. The local school car park is also full of it and I filled a black bin bag with that kind of rubbish at our local woods recently. I’m assuming it’s boy racers that are responsible.

    Was coming home today and between Oranmore and Craughwell someone had dumped a trailer load of rubbish at the gate of someones field.

    That farmer won't be too happy when he sees it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    As blow ins to Galway have to say we have never seen so much rubbish being dumped, everywhere from main streets to up in the sticks.. People just do not seem to care here through rubbish wherever they want too


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Milly33 wrote: »
    As blow ins to Galway have to say we have never seen so much rubbish being dumped, everywhere from main streets to up in the sticks.. People just do not seem to care here through rubbish wherever they want too

    It's everywhere, not just a county thing..... Certain groups are getting you to pay, they the dump on public or private land, whichever is easiest to access


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    Yeah, but it does seem to be very bad up here. Even where there are bins provided people just dont seem to care. In town one night (in the good auld days) after the kids came out of the puds they just started kicking in the bin bags left out rubbish everywhere. Can say i never really came across that before.. There just seems to be a flow of rubbish everywhere, even in our own park im amazed at how people do not pick up their own rubbish on windy bin nights or just in general


  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ mo_bhicycle


    Milly33 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it does seem to be very bad up here. Even where there are bins provided people just dont seem to care. In town one night (in the good auld days) after the kids came out of the puds they just started kicking in the bin bags left out rubbish everywhere. Can say i never really came across that before.. There just seems to be a flow of rubbish everywhere, even in our own park im amazed at how people do not pick up their own rubbish on windy bin nights or just in general

    Milly33 do you think it was bad here before covid19?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    Yes without a doubt, I would think people only think it is worse now because they are out and about more.


  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ mo_bhicycle


    Milly33 wrote: »
    Yes without a doubt, I would think people only think it is worse now because they are out and about more.

    It’s definitely worse where I am and if anything I’m out and about less. Having said that I wouldn’t argue with your point that there’s always been a problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭ zell12


    The weekend saw littering everywhere
    Terryland Castle & surrounds was covered in alcohol paraphernalia, including smashed bottles on QBridge
    South Park was littered to bits too


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ klr87


    Lots of litter in Salthill over the weekend. The lifeguards have to clean up the beach before they leave in the evening, which I don't think should be their job at all. I saw one yesterday struggling with the weight of the refuse sack that she had filled. Then there was a row of about 15 or 16 bags this morning, behind the changing rooms just before the main beach. Those big boxy waste receptacles are always full to overflowing. The basic problem as I see it as that not enough people take their rubbish with them.

    An honourable mention goes to the group who held a barbecue on Grattan beach yesterday evening, as I could see them putting all their waste into a refuse sack when I passed by.


Advertisement