Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 1gb broanband - Connected device limits

Options
  • 05-03-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi

I hope someone can help me. I've recently taken the plunge to upgrade my eir broadband to 1GB broadband. I currently have an F2000 box. Awaiting for an installation date.

During the lockdown, I spent some time changing up my home to a smart home. I have numerous smart plugs / smart bulbs around the house now - on the last count between kids' phones, iPad's, laptops, etc, and my smart bulbs/plugs - I have about 36 different connections.

I've now discovered that there is a device limit on the Eir F2000 box - I'm wondering will I have the same issue with the new installation of the Eir 1GB connection (not sure if it's a new modem or not).

I'm not very tech-savvy - but could someone please advise on how to overcome the connected device limit.

BTW - I forgot to mention I have a TENDA MW6 Mesh wifi system (3 units).

My head is fried - as kids echo dots/plugs / iPhones keep disconnecting and although clicking on home SSID (say on iPhone) it won't connect to the internet.

I've done speed tests on the network and getting good decent speeds (between 25 and 39 Mbps.

Seems crazy that with smart home technology - there's a limit to the number of devices you can connect. Surely there is some way around this (even for a non-tech savvy person like me).

Any help/advice/suggestions you be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

DFS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You talking 32 device limit on F2000 WiFi, it should not effect Ethernet wired devices.
    Tenda has limits too https://www.tendacn.com/en/faq/3095.html

Reduce WiFi clients by wiring devices where possible.

Put F2000 on separate SSID so you can control connections or disable it altogether.

Get better WiFi AP system that support more clients per unit if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Hi

I hope someone can help me. I've recently taken the plunge to upgrade my eir broadband to 1GB broadband. I currently have an F2000 box. Awaiting for an installation date.

During the lockdown, I spent some time changing up my home to a smart home. I have numerous smart plugs / smart bulbs around the house now - on the last count between kids' phones, iPad's, laptops, etc, and my smart bulbs/plugs - I have about 36 different connections.

DFS

Login to the F2000 menu and turn off the WiFi in it, and just use your mesh WiFi to create seamless coverage across all your mesh APs. Switching between non-meshed APs is not reliable for all devices, and WiFi channel clashes can occur if both mesh and F2000 try to use same channels. F2000 can support 255 devices, so you should be fine when you use the mesh for WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Login to the F2000 menu and turn off the WiFi in it, and just use your mesh WiFi to create seamless coverage across all your mesh APs. Switching between non-meshed APs is not reliable for all devices, and WiFi channel clashes can occur if both mesh and F2000 try to use the same channels. F2000 can support 255 devices, so you should be fine when you use the mesh for WiFi.

Thanks, Babelfish - So I logged into the F2000 modem and disabled wifi (both 2.4 and 5 GHz - and that seemed to work (i think - but won't know for sure till this evening when more device connectivity is needed).

Just thinking - I have an old TPlink powerline with a couple of satellites - could I use those to set up my smart devices' by creating a new SSID for them solely, and leave the Tenda Mesh for personal device usage? or does that not make sense...

Thanks, Babelfish - So I logged into the F2000 modem and disabled wifi (both 2.4 and 5 GHz - and that seemed to work (i think - but won't know for sure till this evening when more device connectivity is needed).

Just thinking - I have an old TPlink powerline with a couple of satellites - could I use those to set up my smart devices' by creating a new SSID for them solely, and leave the Tenda Mesh for personal device usage? or does that not make sense...

Personally, I would let the Mesh network do WiFi for all your devices. The bandwidth used by most of your IOT devices will be tiny, and there should be plenty to go around. Once you have split your devices across your APs, hopefully you won't be hitting the limit on your Tenda devices? I am not a big fan of powerline devices. While they can work ok for some people, they are problematic in many houses because of mains wiring being on separate rings etc. They can also work fine, and let you down if someone inadvertently plugs in another device in an unused twin socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Once your signed for 1 Gb package you won't see any decent WI FI speeds with current setup .
    I would get rid of F2000 first thing ( you don't need it as Tenda Mesh fully capable to work on it is own , connect directly to ONT , don't forget VLAN 10 settings)
    Second thing you should get rid of ANY powerline adapters, they evil .
    Third thing , I would consider to get more advanced MESH System ( possible with independent wireless backhaul , Netgear Orbi RBK53 good starting point) or hardwire Tenda Units with CAT 5E/6 cable. Otherwise you won't see any decent WIFI speeds , 150 Mbits max I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Personally, I would let the Mesh network do WiFi for all your devices. The bandwidth used by most of your IOT devices will be tiny, and there should be plenty to go around. Once you have split your devices across your APs, hopefully you won't be hitting the limit on your Tenda devices? I am not a big fan of powerline devices. While they can work ok for some people, they are problematic in many houses because of mains wiring being on separate rings etc. They can also work fine, and let you down if someone inadvertently plugs in another device in an unused twin socket.

Thanks, Babelfish for your help and advice - my Tenda Mesh MW6 working well now - with all in 'smart' devices connected (42) - and no one is complaining of slow steaming / PS5 etc

happy days ........

Thanks, Babelfish for your help and advice - my Tenda Mesh MW6 working well now - with all in 'smart' devices connected (42) - and no one is complaining of slow steaming / PS5 etc

happy days ........

Glad you got sorted DFS UTD.

Mesh devices are absolutely transformative for most homes. I despair at how many posters on boards feel the need to dump their ISP router to solve their WiFi problems when they end up with same problems from a new router. Mesh is a better solution.

Advertisement