Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 04-03-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some general advice I suppose. I’m thinking of selling my current home to upgrade to a better property - it was always a sort of starter small home and bought for reasonable enough money so very small ish mortgage (on my own). It’s fine l, would sell very easily, but was never my “forever” home as such.
    How best do I go about this? Apply to the bank for an upgrade mortgage or what? I definitely could stand a good bit more on mortgage payments, house is probably worth circa €185k now (I paid €135k), owe circa €100k on existing mortgage. Also have decent enough savings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

It's hard to tell from your post but are you looking to extend your current home or sell it & move to larger house?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ongarite wrote: »
    It's hard to tell from your post but are you looking to extend your current home or sell it & move to larger house?

Sorry, I’ll edit. Sell current one and move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Pretty simple then, either apply for mover mortgage from current bank or new mortgage from another bank.

Go to one of the bank's mortgage calculators & input the house price range you are thinking of buying & your amount needed minus equity from sale of your current house & savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sorry to hijack this but I'm in a similar boat and wondering if people have any hints for buying and selling at the same time.

Is it easy to have both transactions carried out on the one day? If not how else do you manage it?

Any recommendations for somewhere to store some clutter to facilitate house viewings?

Do people normally advertise before looking at other houses or wait till sale agreed and then advertise their own?

Any advice appreciated, it seems so much more complicated and riskt than first time out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Alkers wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this but I'm in a similar boat and wondering if people have any hints for buying and selling at the same time.

Is it easy to have both transactions carried out on the one day? If not how else do you manage it?

Any recommendations for somewhere to store some clutter to facilitate house viewings?

Do people normally advertise before looking at other houses or wait till sale agreed and then advertise their own?

Any advice appreciated, it seems so much more complicated and riskt than first time out

Do a search on here, was a thread about it in the past few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

We did it. We were lucky. We had a very efficient solicitor and this was paired with the fact that we were buying a new build, so the house was vacant and we were able to have both closing date on the same day. Even with all this, it was stressful and we weren’t sure that it would happen until the last minute. We sold our property at 12 am and bought the new one at 5 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Basically you need to put your house in the market before you go to buy. Sellers generally won’t entertain people who haven’t even hit their house in the market and are making offers

Advertisement