Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reapplying for a role I was unsuccessful in interview

Options
  • 04-03-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to hear people's opinions or views on this as I'm quite torn. I was let go from my job as a solicitor due to a downturn in my practice area at the start of covid. I've had a number of interviews mainly since the New Year and have been told on a few occasions that I was down to theatre two but haven't yet been successful. I've asked for feedback etc but I've been told there isn't an issue with me at interview, it's more so that there are so many applicants at the moment and competition with solicitors out of work.

I interviewed for a role with a multinational company last sumer but was unsuccessful after doing an interviews with HR and then with the hiring managers. It was the first interview so maybe I was a bit rusty, I don't know. I got feedback and it wasn't major just that they were underwhelmed with one or two responses.

So essentially, the same HR contact has advertised for two new roles in the company, these are the same jobs as the ones I interviewed for but in s slightly different team so different hiring managers. I would love to reapply nut have no idea if this will look bad as I'm still unemployed 6 months later so probably haven't anything to say I have acquired more skills etc but I am doing an online course that would be relevant.

I guess I'm wondering what people think about reapplying. I dont want to come across as desperate basically but I would love to work for the company and its my dream role. Part of me thinks there's a reason they didn't hire me previously but I'd be grateful to hear what people think about reapplying or reaching out again to my HR contact. The market is so poor in my area at the moment that I'm really trying to exhaust all options. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Do it.

Don’t even think about it again. Just go after it. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

You will 100% not get it if you don’t apply.

I work in a multinational business and people re apply all the time and they’re as likely as anyone else to be successful the next time.

Do it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply. You're right. I guess my confidence is just a bit low at the moment and the market is so poor in my sector so I suppose I had reservations thinking, Jesus why would we hire this woman..clearly nobody else has in the time that has passed since my interview. I was concerned it might harm my chances down the line. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I reapplied for a position in a multi national.

Got down to the last two both times. I didn't think anything of reapplying. Didn't get the job mind.

Was interviewed by different people both times.

"I reapplied because it's a job I really wanted"......

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You're overthinking it. 6 months? In a multinational? They won't even remember you!

You're overthinking it. 6 months? In a multinational? They won't even remember you!

Thanks, I know...I probably am. The same HR individual is looking after the recruitment so they probably will. I'm thinking it's better to apply through the online system rather than reach out to her but I don't know. I had been planning on mentioning my previous application in my cover letter. Totally overthinking I know but that what a spell of anxious unemployment does to you I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Raapply. What have you got to lose.
    Remember how you performed at the previous interview and work on improving the weaker parts. then go and give it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks, I know...I probably am. The same HR individual is looking after the recruitment so they probably will. I'm thinking it's better to apply through the online system rather than reach out to her but I don't know. I had been planning on mentioning my previous application in my cover letter. Totally overthinking I know but that what a spell of anxious unemployment does to you I guess!

No need to mention the last application in your cover letter, just focus on this application. The likelihood is that the recruiter will remember you (a file would have been created for you for your first application). The fact that you progressed to hiring manager interview stage indicates that your last application was strong.

I've worked for a MNC for years and worked with lots of people who were unsuccessful first time (different teams/roles etc.) If or when you do get through to interview stage, then you should brush up on your potential questions and answers.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

6 months is no big deal especially at the moment. Also what’s the worst case scenario they think oh they applied before don’t even give them an interview. Even in that scenario you’ve lost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I would endorse the general advice here to go ahead and apply. I have seen people succeed on second, or subsequent interviews and there is no reason why you will not succeed. A different team might even be looking for different skills which might suit you better.
    ....... I would love to reapply nut have no idea if this will look bad as I'm still unemployed 6 months later so probably haven't anything to say I have acquired more skills etc but I am doing an online course that would be relevant.

But talk up that course and emphasis that you haven't just been sitting still. Interviewers like to know what you have been doing most recently so filling that period with positive information would be important. So not only talk up the course but also explain why it might fit into a further educational plan you are working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Go for it.

My friend was hiring for a role 4yrs ago - it came down to two people and he stewed over it for a while. In the end he hired a guy who came across better in the interview than other interviewees, but turned out to be a disaster. They had to let him go 6mths later and he wished he'd hired his other pick.

Not getting a job role doesn't always mean you're not the right person for the role; it can be a very marginal thing and even just come down to nerves on the day. In your situation I would definitely give it another go, they didn't really come with anything hugely negative which means that most or all of your interview was positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Absolutely go fo it. Don't bother mentioning your previous application on your cover letter, it will just sound defensive, but do try and improve what you think can be improved for next time.

My first long term job, after a couple of failed experiences and a period of unemployment, was for a job I hadn't even applied for - I had applied for a different job about 6 months before and had not even got an interview that time. So yeah, don't hesitate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Do it but also invest in your self find an career coach to do an online prep with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do it but also invest in your self find an career coach to do an online prep with you.

Which reminds me - whatever about getting a career coach, I don't know, but I would say to be very careful not to contradict yourself in any factual stuff this time around.

Do try to make sure you know, as much as possible, what you said last time because you don't know how detailed their records are from last time round.

If you're not sure what you said about something (maybe more speculative questions you were asked in the interview), try to find sort of neutral replies that won't be outright contradictions of something.

As a general rule, that's also why it's never a good idea to outright lie in an interview! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I noticed you have several mistakes in your opening post, all due to predictive text.

I'm sure you would be far more careful in a serious missive, but do remember to proof read your application very carefully.

I've often noticed mistakes in e-mails immediately after sending them, having checked them but seeing what I expected rather than what I had actually written.

Best of luck with the job hunting

Thanks everyone for the replies and for sharing your experiences which was very interesting to hear.

I applied this morning with a new application on their online portal so it will be visible that I was a previous applicant. Yes, my post on here was littered with typos as was sent in a rush on my phone. My attention to detail is good given my profession so yes, my application has been proofed etc and I agree that this is crucial.

I'll update once I hear anything further. It will be interesting to see in any event.

Thanks again.

I got my rejection email this morning...ah well. Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sorry to hear that OP. Persistence does pay off and though remaining positive can be tough, it will be a help too. Well done for applying and best of luck with future applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I interviewed for a job about 9 years ago and was unsuccessful.

An additional position doing the exact same job was advertised about 12 months later (team was expanding), I re-applied, was interviewed by the same two people and got the job. In the previous application I was up against a more experienced candidate and thats why I didn't get it. Absolutely go for it.

Advertisement