Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media 250 plan jumping from 55€ to 85€...?

Options
  • 04-03-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm out of contract with virgin media. They are stacking my monthly cost. I'm also on their mobile plan. So that'll be over 100€/month for broadband 250MB, TV, mobile and VOIP phone.

VM are gouging IMO. Talked to their customer service rep. She said she can do 75€ for the 250 plan instead of ~86€. Still not good enough.

I asked whether I could just cancel contract and join as a new customer at 45€/month. She said, I'd be without broadband for at least a month.

Thinking of going with P
    Digiweb at 25€, 100MB and keeping my landline/VOIP number.

Do I need virgin TV? I only ever watch big bang theory and blue blood recordings. In general there's never anything on VM TV.

I live in gurranabraher, cork city. Theres a SIRO box on a telephone literally outside my front door. But according to switcher.ie, there is no siro option available to me.

Starting an online university course next week. A lot of video classes.

Will a 100MB connection speed with another provider be able to handle this?

Could I make do with saorview?

Will VM cut me off for a month?

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,402 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You just need to time when you start with Pure and finish with VM giving yourself a few days leeway
    They're both on different networks so you won't be without service (assuming no issues with Pure getting it setup)

For TV just get freesat and an aerial for the Irish TV and you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

fritzelly wrote: »
    You just need to time when you start with Pure and finish with VM giving yourself a few days leeway
    They're both on different networks so you won't be without service (assuming no issues with Pure getting it setup)

For TV just get freesat and an aerial for the Irish TV and you're sorted

Thanks fritzelly.

Sorry edited post. I'll probably have to switch to digiweb instead.

What are they like?

I'll look onto freesat....

Can't go wrong with Digiweb

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

I have a cheap smart tv. Will I still need a dish and freesat box?

If so, I'll need a freesat box that records. Can anyone recommend one?

Who installs freesat in cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    I live in gurranabraher, cork city. Theres a SIRO box on a telephone literally outside my front door. But according to switcher.ie, there is no siro option available to me.

Starting an online university course next week. A lot of video classes.

Will a 100MB connection speed with another provider be able to handle this?

If the fibre is on a telephone pole it's openeir not siro.
    100mb is more than suitable for online video classes. I have Vodafone VDSL that syncs at 90Mb and speedtests at 85Mb and I have no problem with online classes in CIT.

• Advertisement

If it has a satellite tuner no, it may even be able to do recording to an external USB/storage device
    But you can pick up a freesat box for next to nothing with PVR - check https://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/

Advertisement