Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Baked potato restaurant in Galway city?

  • 04-03-2021 1:31pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose


    I was in Galway city years ago and ate at a restaurant not far outside the city centre that seemed to specialize in baked potatoes? It was a small place. Decor was homely Irish but felt quite fresh. I think ran by a young Irish woman? Food was great but the name of the place completely escapes me.

    My brief research turned up nothing. Hopefully it's still going? :confused:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    Spud House?

    Opposite AIB on Newcastle Road. Was replaced with 37 West and I think it's now a Mocha Beans.

    It was absolutely delicious. You could opt to get no salad and an extra spud instead.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭ pg633


    Couch potatoes was a restaurant on Abbeygate Street for years that has since closed.

    Was this walking distance or further out.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose


    Spud House?

    Opposite AIB on Newcastle Road. Was replaced with 37 West and I think it's now a Mocha Beans.

    It was absolutely delicious. You could opt to get no salad and an extra spud instead.
    pg633 wrote: »
    Couch potatoes was a restaurant on Abbeygate Street for years that has since closed.

    Was this walking distance or further out.

    After finding my bearings on Google maps, I'm pretty sure it was Spud House.

    We were all pretty delicate from the night before and I fondly remember that baked potato lifting my spirits. It's the first time I ever felt patriotic eating food. I'm saddened to hear it's gone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ Smegging hell


    Yeah, the Spud House has joined the Home Plate and many others in passing on to Galway restaurant heaven, sadly. Jamaica Joe's is supposed to be coming back in some capacity according to its Facebook page, so that will be interesting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ VanWildcard


    This might trigger more memories;
    https://www.menupages.ie/Galway/galway_city/galway_city/spud_house/menu

    "Mama's Favourite" was generally my go-to!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭ beardybrewer


    Obviously there's a demand for some smart person to try a food stall in the market. There was a spud cart parked in front of my uni always did a brisk trade, no wonder, a big feed for less than a tenner is a no brainer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭ ArtyC


    Fond memories of couch potato , half portion did the business for even my greedy guts !!


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ GALWAYGUY2019


    The Happy Spud on abbeygate street 25 years ago


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    After finding my bearings on Google maps, I'm pretty sure it was Spud House.

    We were all pretty delicate from the night before and I fondly remember that baked potato lifting my spirits. It's the first time I ever felt patriotic eating food. I'm saddened to hear it's gone.

    Was that not called "The Happy Spud"?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    Yeah, the Spud House has joined the Home Plate and many others in passing on to Galway restaurant heaven, sadly. Jamaica Joe's is supposed to be coming back in some capacity according to its Facebook page, so that will be interesting.

    I loved the Home Plate. Very sorry to see it gone. It was an institution.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Das Kitty


    Wasn't Couch Potatoes immortalised in a Billy Connolly sketch?

    ETA - restaurant not named but I think I went into Couch Potatoes soon after seeing this and they did have a Potatoes of the Night option.



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Das Kitty wrote: »
    Wasn't Couch Potatoes immortalised in a Billy Connolly sketch?

    ETA - restaurant not named but I think I went into Couch Potatoes soon after seeing this and they did have a Potatoes of the Night option.


    LOL! I'd love if that were it. I wonder if their item menu came after the sketch though?

    I remember Couch Potatoes not having things like catch of the day, but Billy could have been mixing jokes. I suspect though it was one of the more 'traditional' eateries.


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Das Kitty


    inisboffin wrote: »
    LOL! I'd love if that were it. I wonder if their item menu came after the sketch though?

    I remember Couch Potatoes not having things like catch of the day, but Billy could have been mixing jokes. I suspect though it was one of the more 'traditional' eateries.

    Yeah, they definitely didn't have catch of the day. All the dishes (One baked spud covered in a topping) were named after famous people. The only one I rightly remember is the Christopher Columbus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah, they definitely didn't have catch of the day. All the dishes (One baked spud covered in a topping) were named after famous people. The only one I rightly remember is the Christopher Columbus.

    Oh god that memory was hidden! Was there a Norah Barnacle or am i imagining that?


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Das Kitty


    inisboffin wrote: »
    Oh god that memory was hidden! Was there a Norah Barnacle or am i imagining that?

    Yes! And maybe an Oscar Wilde.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭ ArtyC


    There was a Nina, pinta & Santa Maria too ! Don’t know how I remember that ... think it was the Columbus comment that jigged it


Advertisement