Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Archer C2300 and Virgin Media Hub 3 installation

Options
  • 03-03-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

This is just for reference if someone else is looking to do the same thing.

My motivation was poor wifi signal , DNS, VPN , IPS, no parental control, QoS, firewall functionality.

I switched the Virgin MediaHub 3 (white one) to modem mode, unplugged it then switched the ethernet cables to the TP link router, put a new ethernet cable between the two. In VM router cable to port one , in TP-Link router cable to WAN port , then switched them both back on.

Downloaded the router app to my phone, followed the instructions and I was connected. I changed the Wi-Fi SSID and password to exactly what the Virgin Media Hub 3's was, and it worked perfectly. Everything reconnected, and within few minutes I was back up and running. Easier then expected

The speeds I am getting are an absolute revelation. It also affected power plugs speed I did not expect. Before doing this I was getting 300 to 350Mps on devolo plugs, after the change all 6 devolo plugs are reporting speed between 800mps to 920Mps

Wireless connections are incredible, before was 300-400Mbps, sometimes dipping as low as 20Mbps. Now my MacBook is rock solid running at 1.3Gbps.
    No buffering or delays whatsoever - I can play a video immediately, rather than waiting a couple of seconds for it to load. Devices that struggled to join because they were not next to the Hub 3 now join with no difficulties at all. Alexa device in the kitchen that used to run red ring (lost connection) all the time has not had issue since this change. Only wish I have done this sooner.

Advertisement