Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering a mining rig

Options
  • 03-03-2021 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm trying to figure out the best and safest way to power my mining rig (mining computer), will be running 19GPUs (RX 5700) on x3 2000w PSUs, the rig will be drawing around 2800 watts after all the overclocks, at stock should be around 3700 watts maximum. I'm living in Mayo, I'm not sure about what's the max wattage on each house plug, or if I will overheat the electrical cables or something.

I was thinking on maybe buying a power strip, an extension reel or something capable of that wattage to use 1 socket, any recommendations?

Is that to much wattage for a wall socket? would that be ok or is there any better solutions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You need to select a plug socket arrangement that is suitable for the peak load and able to sustain the load on a permanent basis. As the peak load is >16A a 16A commando plug socket is right on the edge. Therefore I would select a 32A commando plug & socket. I would supply this from a cable that was no smaller than a 6 sq. on a dedicated circuit. I would feed this circuit from a 32A B type RCBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm not the OP and only interested in this from an academic point of view because I'm not crypto mining so my biggest computer load is only about 650W but is it only possible to deliver power at that level via a "commando" plug? Could it be done via a more traditional 3 pin Type G socket or are they just not made for that type of loading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 inn889

2011 wrote: »
    You need to select a plug socket arrangement that is suitable for the peak load and able to sustain the load on a permanent basis. As the peak load is >16A a 16A commando plug socket is right on the edge. Therefore I would select a 32A commando plug & socket. I would supply this from a cable that was no smaller than a 6 sq. on a dedicated circuit. I would feed this circuit from a 32A B type RCBO.

well, I can't understand a word from what you just said lol I guess I'd better call for an electrician

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

inn889 wrote: »
    well, I can't understand a word from what you just said lol I guess I'd better call for an electrician

That would be best.

I'm not the OP and only interested in this from an academic point of view because I'm not crypto mining so my biggest computer load is only about 650W but is it only possible to deliver power at that level via a "commando" plug?

650W is a far smaller load than what the OP has described, so a "normal" plug would be fine in your case.

1718015-40.jpg

• Advertisement

650W is a far smaller load than what the OP has described, so a "normal" plug would be fine in your case.

1718015-40.jpg

I knew that - give me some credit! I was just curious if it was possible to get higher rated "normal" style sockets.

Edit: Ah I see now - my own post may have been misleading - I wasn't querying what was needed for my own computer. I was querying if it was possible to deliver the OPs level of load via what you call a "normal" style plug socket or does it have to be a commando style one.

I was querying if it was possible to deliver the OPs level of load via what you call a "normal" style plug socket or does it have to be a commando style one.

The OP needs a plug / socket arrangement that can take just over 16A on a full time basis. The smallest size possible available off the shelf that will do this is a 32A commando type.

Perfect - that's what I was asking (badly!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The OP needs a plug / socket arrangement that can take just over 16A on a full time basis. The smallest size possible available off the shelf that will do this is a 32A commando type.

He is more likely to have a number of number of 13A plug tops serving multiple pieces of equipment. So a 32A socket might not really be what he needs.
    A radial circuit with a number of 13A sockets on it would probably be more suitable.

Would be interested to know the OP’s view on the financial viability of this venture. I thought the hardware outlay, electrical and maintenance costs would dwarf any return?

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    He is more likely to have a number of number of 13A plug tops serving multiple pieces of equipment. So a 32A socket might not really be what he needs.

That’s not the way I would do it to be honest. I would rather a dedicated cirri supply the entire unit. From there I would look at further distribution. Each to their own. This makes it possible to isolate the entire system at one point. My approach is more industrial as this is my background.

• Advertisement

That’s not the way I would do it to be honest. I would rather a dedicated cirri supply the entire unit. From there I would look at further distribution. Each to their own. This makes it possible to isolate the entire system at one point. My approach is more industrial as this is my background.

I understand, but the equipment he has is probably designed to be powered using IEC cables, so they would have to be incorporated some way, probably with some form of 13A sockets downstream from the 32A outlet?

I suppose he could use a suitably rated PDU straight off the 32A socket. This is probably all in a house though!

I understand, but the equipment he has is probably designed to be powered using IEC cables, so they would have to be incorporated some way, probably with some form of 13A sockets downstream from the 32A outlet?

Exactly
    I suppose he could use a suitably rated PDU straight off the 32A socket. This is probably all in a house though!

Power Distribution Unit? If so yes.
    The fact that this is a house makes no odds, a local single point of isolation is best IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

tphase wrote: »
    best approach would be a dedicated circuit to supply a UPS which will provide protection, distribution and a single point of isolation. Assuming money no object, I'd put in a unit which is as big as you can plug into a 32A socket.

"protection, distribution and a single point of isolation"

You don't need a UPS for all that

You would need to define "protection" as well , it's a very broad electrical term

tphase wrote: »
    perhaps not but the OP asked about the best and safest way to power his rig and, given the lack of electrical knowledge, an appropriately sized UPS is a simple solution.
    Just out of curiosity, what approach would you suggest?

not sure I need to define anything but in this instance power outs, brown outs and voltage spikes broadly covers it. Feel free to chime in with anything important I've missed:o

A quick google suggests the power supplies already have those protections in-built

Distribution and isolation , not needed for that

I'm just arguing the point

Can you nail down the exact reason for the spend , that's the point of debate

Power outages , yes

If required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think the bigger question in this venture is the profitability of the whole venture? Is the crpyto mining setup proposed able to recoup it's costs?

At that power, you are looking at € 4000 in electricity annually.
    The cost of the mining equipment, along with any maintenance and replacement components. Likely considering it will be running 24/7.
    The cost of the power supply upgrades being discussed here
    The OPs time and effort put into the whole set up.

I know nothing of crypto mining, but I'd imagine if it were that profitable, everyone would be at it and corporations would be doing it at industrial scales in purpose built data centre type facilities.

Or else you'd have to put in a fairly large initial investment of bitcoin to be able to recoup the costs in a reasonable amount of time.

Since the OP is asking for electrical advice on boards, I am assuming he is not a mogul with vast funds because if he had he would be just instructing an electrical contractor to do whatever work needed doing and send him the bill.

I think the bigger question in this venture is the profitability of the whole venture? Is the crpyto mining setup proposed able to recoup it's costs?

At that power, you are looking at € 4000 in electricity annually.
    The cost of the mining equipment, along with any maintenance and replacement components. Likely considering it will be running 24/7.
    The cost of the power supply upgrades being discussed here
    The OPs time and effort put into the whole set up.

I know nothing of crypto mining, but I'd imagine if it were that profitable, everyone would be at it and corporations would be doing it at industrial scales in purpose built data centre type facilities.

Or else you'd have to put in a fairly large initial investment of bitcoin to be able to recoup the costs in a reasonable amount of time.

Since the OP is asking for electrical advice on boards, I am assuming he is not a mogul with vast funds because if he had he would be just instructing an electrical contractor to do whatever work needed doing and send him the bill.

The last point is debateable

Majority of Recs will just fire in a socket , that would be the limit of their technical ability

Discussion can be useful re: cooling, distribution, protection on projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I get it, but if he had that much money, he wouldn't be coming to Boards getting advice - he'd have hired someone who knows the score to implement it for him rather than getting bogged down in technical details like what type of plug socket to use.

I get it, but if he had that much money, he wouldn't be coming to Boards getting advice - he'd have hired someone who knows the score to implement it for him rather than getting bogged down in technical details like what type of plug socket to use.

Yes agree

Consultant first , then Rec for the basic install and paperwork

Chawosfski wrote: »
    Yes agree

Consultant first , then Rec for the basic install and paperwork

You are doing a lot of tarring with one brush. There are good and bad consultants, as there are good and bad electrical contractors.

Nothing in this is outside the scope of any half decent electrical contractor to advise on.

• Advertisement

You are doing a lot of tarring with one brush. There are good and bad consultants, as there are good and bad electrical contractors.

Nothing in this is outside the scope of any half decent electrical contractor to advise on.
    Knowledge level is poor among Recs
    The standards not great tbh

Was a REC a long time , behind a desk now, my opinion anyhow

I'm guessing the OP has three of something like this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2000w-game-max-2000-90-efficient-by-gold-mining-psu-power-supply-2-x-80mm-fans-158a-plus12v-9-pcie-c

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that each of these will come with it's own 13amp fused "kettle lead" style plug.

What I've learned from the good people above is that the appropriate thing is a standalone circuit from the consumer unit with a 32A commando plug at the end and some sort of extension plugged into that commando plug that supports his three "kettle leads" plugged into it.

If I was betting man I'd say there's chancers up and down the country who have similar plugged into their existing ring or radial - which seems quite dangerous!

I'm not a crypto miner but to those asking about profit - at the moment because the "value" of crypto is so high set ups like the above are nominally profitable vs Irish unit rates for electricity. The payback period depends but in theory the upfront cost on equipment (discounting the cost of a REC) could be offset in a few months. A number of significant hurdles exist though:

1. When/if the crypto "value" tanks it will no longer be profitable versus Irish unit rates.
    2. Lack of availability and scalping would make the cost of 19 RX5700s ridiculous if they could even be obtained. However, on the up side that would push up the resale value of the units.
    3. The effect on the environment of converting burnt fossil fuel into crypto currency.

Clean line 32amp radial
    Single point of isolation for equipment(as suggested already)

F -Type RCBO( B trip curve)

Type 2 and 3 SPD devices at distribution board and equipment (depending on UPS fitted etc)

Me, I'd be inclined to rate the design current according to the power supplies ratings as a minimum, so 6kw minimum design current

Can also fit sub-board and isolator and multiple Rcbos at equipment

Advertisement