Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering a mining rig

Options
  • 03-03-2021 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm trying to figure out the best and safe way to power my mining rig, will be running 19GPUs (RX 5700) on x3 2000w PSUs, the rig will be drawing around 2800 watts after all the overclocks, at stock should be around 3700 watts maximum. I'm living in Mayo, I'm not sure about what's the max wattage on each house plug, or if I will overheat the electrical cables or something.

I was thinking on maybe buying a power strip, an extension reel or something capable of that wattage to use 1 socket, any recommendations?

Is that to much wattage for a wall socket? would that be ok or is there any better solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was thinking on maybe buying a power strip, an extension reel or something capable of that wattage to use 1 socket, any recommendations?

That's a good way to burn your house down.

Beyond that, I can't/won't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

inn889 wrote: »
    Is that to much wattage for a wall socket? would that be ok or is there any better solutions?

You should talk to an electrician and get a separate cable wired from the fuse box, same as they do for any large household consumer (cooker/oven, power shower).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭CoBo55

13A is the max load I'm sure you've seen it written on many plugs and sockets. Simple arithmetic 13x230= 2990, work it out yourself after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

inn889 wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out the best and safe way to power my mining rig, will be running 19GPUs (RX 5700) on x3 2000w PSUs, the rig will be drawing around 2800 watts after all the overclocks, at stock should be around 3700 watts maximum. I'm living in Mayo, I'm not sure about what's the max wattage on each house plug, or if I will overheat the electrical cables or something.

~3 kW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

19 RX5700s. Urgh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I'm trying to put this in the nicest way possible. Wouldn't recommend asking for advice on that here.lotta people wanting new GPUs so we wouldn't be remotely fond of miners like yourself. Go to Reddit or something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Miners pay the same money for GPU as other people. Why are you looking down on people doing what pleases them with their money?

I hate mining, but only because it is energetically wasteful. Not because miners buy gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This thread almost smells of Trolling. Almost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grogi wrote: »
    Miners pay the same money for GPU as other people. Why are you looking down on people doing what pleases them with their money?

I hate mining, but only because it is energetically wasteful. Not because miners buy gear.

But they don't. They pay over the odds and set up bots to buy up as many cards as they can driving up the prices for people looking to buy one card for gaming.

Not being able to buy a luxury product during a pandemic is the least of my concerns but they have put more stress on me and made my life worse while contributing to the existential climate crisis.

So I don't wish any ill will on them basically **** 'em if they want any help. They've not helped me in anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Given that the OP posted the same thread in Electrical within 4 minutes of their post here and probably knew exactly what the reaction would be here I'm chalking this up to trolling and closing this before anyone says (or is baited into saying) anything a little too spicy for these parts. The query is better served in Elec anyway given the power draw involved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement