Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Pedals, Shoes & Cleats

Options
  • 03-03-2021 12:28pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the last two years I've been using Shimano MTB 520 pedals along with Northwave Spike Evo shoes (46). These were grand when "learning" but I'd like to move up to "proper" road pedals and shoes.

In terms of pedals, I'm thinking of staying with Shimano - I had been thinking of the 105 carbons which would keep in line with the 105 groupset on the bike.
    Any thoughts on that move?

In terms of shoes, am I wise to buy online or should I wait a few months and then head to a few different shops to try them on before I make the move?
    I think I have broad feet but don't really know (I could call my mother and see if she remembers :D).
    Am I better getting fitted or would you just suggest buying a random pair of shoes and hope for the best?

Lastly, would I be better off going for yellow cleats. I do get joint issues, have done for years (I can often tell if it's going to rain!). Or would I be better off asking my LBS for an assisted fitting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

105 pedals are perfectly fine - especially as they suit your current groupset. Probably best to start with the yellow cleats - lots of pros prefer them according to some arbitrary GCN survey I saw recently.

As for ordering online - that's a tough one. I use Shimano shoes and I sized up the first pair years ago in my LBS which fitted perfectly so since then I order the same size online but if I was considering a different brand, I think I'd want to try them on and buy locally - worth the extra few quid to ensure a correct fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭hesker

Shoes are tricky alright. You can just usually check online whether people tend to size up.

I have two pairs of Sidi, a cheaper pair and a slightly more expensive pair. I sized up on both but the more expensive ones are a bit more snug so I end up using the cheaper ones nearly always.

So if buying online you really need to consider that you might have to return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm still on SPDs and i'm too damn lazy to change.
    and i even have (well one pair of) shoes that can take SPD and SPD-SL cleats. the notion of having to change pedals on my bikes, as well as my shoes, means i'm kinda locked in.

Serious question Seth , if/is the current setup working for you what will you gain from changing? In terms of shoes I'd be looking at how hot/cold/dry/comfortable they keep my feet rather than the cleat system and whether they are a "proper' road shoe and pedal system.

For the last while I'm on studded flat mtb pedals and walking shoes / adidas mtb shoes on the road bike as I find that more comfortable than being clipped in due to issues with my knee/achilles and feel I'm riding better than I had done for an age while clipped in. If you have joint issues then you should consider what will make that more bearable while riding as opposed to whats the done thing surely?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess my thinking is coming from the perspective that I'll need to replace my existing shoes soon but take your advice on board. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just as a fwiw, I use spd's over the winter (as I have winter spd shoes and boots) and don't notice a whole lot of difference on the bike, but a massive difference off it being able to walk around. I probably won't switch back until group spins (and hard ones at that) are back and/ or racing.

Yellow cleats for me, with a bit of movement.

As others have said, a quick google normally tells you how they fit - compared to "normal" shoes; whether they run narrow etc.

Advertisement