Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 year old suddenly waking a lot at night

Options
  • 03-03-2021 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

My 2.5 year old has been a really good sleeper for the past 6+ months or longer, generally going from 7.30pm - 7am. Most mornings we'd have to wake him.

The past week or two, his sleep has gone to crap. Waking multiple times crying during the night and won't settle unless one of us goes in and lies on the floor beside his cot. I'm 4 months pregnant at the moment, so this isn't ideal!

I don't think it's teething, although his second molars are due. I know the pain of molars coming in can be worse at night but he doesn't seem to be in pain and he settles when someone goes into him, rather than needing pain relief.

This sleep disturbance has coincided with him being VERY strong-willed (!) during the daytime, throwing tantrums/screaming/whinging when he doesn't get his way, which isn't like him. On the other hand, I know this is normal behaviour for a 2-year-old so I'm wondering is it a developmental leap of some sort, or is there a sleep regression around this age? It's starting to wear both of us down and I'm anxious about creating a habit of us sleeping on the floor to get him to settle, even though it's the only thing that works at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s just a phase I’d say. Could be teething or growing pains or just a lot of development going on. Do whatever it takes to get through it and it should settle down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Check him for worms. It can be very distressing and unsettling for them at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Check him for worms. It can be very distressing and unsettling for them at night.

This comment reminded me that we did have this phase at around 2.5. I checked for worms at the time but that wasn’t the cause. It was horrific at the time because we had a 4 month old as well but he did go back to normal himself. I personally am all about getting as much sleep as possible so if that means putting a mattress down next to him for when he wakes I would.

Edited to say we had all the tantrums and strong willed behaviour as well! I much prefer his threenager attitude now to the tantrums and drama that goes with a two year old!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Username checks out.

If it's any consolation, I have been waking loads the last 2 weeks. I think it has been very warm in the bed at night. Considered changing to the duvet to the summer one, but herself would kill me. Left a shoe in between door and frame, so there's air circulating at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Going through the exact same at the moment with our 2.5 year old, was a champion sleeper from when he was 12 months up until a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have any answers for you but following this thread and letting you know you're not the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

Thanks all for the replies - I don't think its worms as he doesn't necessarily seem distressed or in pain, it's more of a whinge, often calling for me and he won't settle back down unless one of us is in there with him. It's more like separation anxiety or something. But I'll keep an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

When my daughter was 2 and 9 months this started and it was when she started playschool. Eventually stopped but it took 4 months, get sleep where you can. Good luck

Advertisement