Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Cert over 40

Options
  • 02-03-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I am thinking about doing the Green cert (distance learning). I work full time but will be taking over a small farm from my father. My main reason for doing it is to learn how to farm properly and get all the education I can to do things right.
    I am 40 though and I know that I will miss out on a lot of the tax benefits.
    I am wondering if there are any benefits (apart from knowledge) still available to me?
    I am trying to weigh things up and justify the €3,000 fee.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

Granted I haven't done it, I wouldn't do it. I don't think the "knowledge" gained from Teagasc etc, is something you need to pay for, there's a ton of info online for free, a lot of it I believe will be harmful anyway (chemicals and their effect on soil and soil life).

I inherited a farm as a going concern a couple of years ago, the stamp duty was €500 less than the Green Cert fee (minus your time, travel and other investment costs).

Unless getting serious financial benefit from it I wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Would tend to agree with Herd above.

Teagasc have a one size fits all on most things. I did the online green cert a long time ago now, and to be honest I didn't learn much if anything. I did it for tax reason, which was grand - but aside from that I wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Agree Teagasc is a one size fits all. Take for example the 'trive' dairy calf to beef programme. There is not a mention about the Friesian Hol bull calf. Its all about the Hereford AA animal. This is wrong as a sizeable amount are going to be Fr and secondly I think there is more profit in the Fr animal. I know its off the topic but it's an example of it's Teagasc way or no way. Employees would say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rural Rocker

Thanks all for your replies,
    I looked into tax incentives and there is nothing there for me.
    That along with your advice - I'll put my €3,000 into the farm instead!

Advertisement