Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

VHI Deduction

• 02-03-2021 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29 patsfan1286

I'm able to reconcile everything on my pay slip, apart from a line item named 'VHI'.

Last year it was 4.69 / month

This year it's 5.04 / month

Anyone have an idea what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ whatawaster81

I assume it's health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭ jimmycrackcorm

You won't get any VHI policy for the equivalent of 60 euros a year.
    Does your employer pay for your VHI? You should see the amount added to pay and then deducted for benefit in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patsfan1286

Yep, I pay BIK on insurance.

On my Deductions I see:

TAX:
    USC:
    PRSI:
    VHI:

No problem with the first 3, dont understand the last one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patsfan1286

Yes, my employer pays my insurance.

I pay the BIK on the premium.

Just haven't been able to figure out why I have a deduction listed as 'VHI' on my payslip. Is there income that im not accounting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭ ari101

Yes, my employer pays my insurance.

I pay the BIK on the premium.

Just haven't been able to figure out why I have a deduction listed as 'VHI' on my payslip. Is there income that im not accounting for?

Any chance there is a shortfall in the difference between what they will cover and the cost of policy you are on. That (or adding spouse/kids at own cost) would be the normal reason to have an after tax VHI deduction from pay?

You should ask payroll/HR to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ heroics

ari101 wrote: »
    Any chance there is a shortfall in the difference between what they will cover and the cost of policy you are on. That (or adding spouse/kids at own cost) would be the normal reason to have an after tax VHI deduction from pay?

You should ask payroll/HR to clarify.

My company pays my health insurance for me ND the family but I have to contribute 5% for the family. Maybe something similar on your company?

Advertisement