Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a car need to be insured in this scenario?

Options
  • 02-03-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I live with my dad who owns a car. It has valid NCT and tax but no insurance. It's parked in an underground car park (It's an apartment block).
    I also have a car and my insurance allows me "driving other cars" and be covered for third party insurance (event if the other car is not insured on their own - my insurer has not problem with it).
    The question is will Garda have a problem if I drive my dad's car? Can I use my own insurance disc for when I drive it?

Thanks
    Simon
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You can't use your own insurance disc, it's not for that car.

You'll need to have your cert of insurance in the car with you in case you're stopped.

Make sure you have something in writing with you that the car doesn't need to have an existing policy in place for your insurance to cover you to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Hi all,
    I live with my dad who owns a car. It has valid NCT and tax but no insurance. It's parked in an underground car park (It's an apartment block).
    I also have a car and my insurance allows me "driving other cars" and be covered for third party insurance (event if the other car is not insured on their own - my insurer has not problem with it).
    The question is will Garda have a problem if I drive my dad's car? Can I use my own insurance disc for when I drive it?

Thanks
    Simon

From what you describe, you would be covered to drive under your policy for 3rd party cover. It is an offence to display an insurance disc on any vehicle other than the one it is designated for

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes be careful because some insurance will only actually cover you if the car you are driving is also insured in its own right

You can't use an insurance disk from another car. It's specific to the car.

I'd be surprised an insurance company would be okay with you driving a car with no insurance on it.

But, IF, you were covered by an insurance company you're fine. Check your understanding of that very carefully. I didnt think it possible. Oh, and make sure the insurance broker/company is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

you can also temporarily transfer your insurance to this car by calling the insurance company...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cameraman21

Thanks for all the replies. My own car is insured with Allianz Direct (not through a broker).

For clarity, below I include official email I received from Allianz in regards to this:

I wish to advise that You can drive

Any other Private Motor Car being driven by the Insured provided such vehicle:

(i) does not belong to the Insured or belong to his/her Employer,

(ii) is not hired or leased to either of the parties described in (i) above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement,

(iii) is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which the Insured is a Director, Member or Employee

Please also note the vehicle needs to have valid NCT.

So my worry is only what to have/present to the Gardai if they stop me at a checkpoint. No disc and my full insurance policy I suppose?

Thanks for all the replies. My own car is insured with Allianz Direct (not through a broker).

For clarity, below I include official email I received from Allianz in regards to this:

I wish to advise that You can drive

Any other Private Motor Car being driven by the Insured provided such vehicle:

(i) does not belong to the Insured or belong to his/her Employer,

(ii) is not hired or leased to either of the parties described in (i) above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement,

(iii) is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which the Insured is a Director, Member or Employee

Please also note the vehicle needs to have valid NCT.

So my worry is only what to have/present to the Gardai if they stop me at a checkpoint. No disc and my full insurance policy I suppose?

That's the standard alright. I'd ring them and confirm. I have my doubts.

To add, one reason I think this is unlikely - it'd be a good way to get cheap insurance on a second car. Buy second car, register in someone else's name. Drive it third party yourself.

Just do a temporary insurance transfer for a few hours, it takes 2 minutes, ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

To add, one reason I think this is unlikely - it'd be a good way to get cheap insurance on a second car. Buy second car, register in someone else's name. Drive it third party yourself.

It is allowed. My policy allows it now but previous ones didn’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

To be honest you are living up to your username here. Most policies allow the driving of other cars without them being insured. Some don't but the op has already checked with their own insurance company who have said it is ok.
    It's not right to be giving advice when you don't know the rules yourself, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Turkelton, feel free to help OP. Do add sources for your claims.

Just report posts you don't agree with and a mod will decide, otherwise you will drag thread offtopic.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

OP, as I see it your biggest problem is that you will not be able to park the car in any public place. It is insured only if you are actually driving it and a car is supposed to be insured if it is left in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cameraman21

blackbox wrote: »
    OP, as I see it your biggest problem is that you will not be able to park the car in any public place. It is insured only if you are actually driving it and a car is supposed to be insured if it is left in a public place.

Right, I see... a Garda could just be walking by and see there is no disc and fine me for it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Right, I see... a Garda could just be walking by and see there is no disc and fine me for it, right?

Fine the registered owner.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Just checked with Allianz (I'm with them also), they replied with you'd have third party cover as long as it had a valid NCT.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

The last company I was with(Aviva) said the other car needed its own policy.
    And now liberty who I'm currently with also said the same .
    Damn I just picked the wrong companies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Unless it's in the policy document the other car does not need to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Unless it's in the policy document the other car does not need to be insured.
    Exactly. The "default" position is that you are insured here - unless prescribed otherwise.

FWIW I had a minor accident in 2017 in a car I was driving on my third party extension and it was not otherwise insured. Insurance covered me and AGS (accident was reported to them) had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

As mentioned you cannot put your insurance 'square' in the window. You should carry your driving licence and a copy of your policy and any email correspondence with insurer.

It is an offence to not display a valid insurance 'square' in a public place. If you are stopped by gardai worst case they can issue 60 euro fixed penalty notice, that's it. Owner may also get into trouble if parked in public place with no insurance 'square'. Parking wardens issue tickets for bad parking, no tax, and no insurance displayed so relatively high risk. With the number of checkpoints actually getting stopped by a bored garda is high. If you have your insurance paperwork with you you may get a verbal warning about not displaying insurance 'disc' on vehicle.

Car has no fire and no theft insurance now, and if it was to go on fire might damage apartments, just something to consider. As others have said best to temporarily transfer insurance, with some companies this can be done online for free or a fee. You may have no insurance on your own car during this period, just something to consider. There may be limits to how many free you get. If car is not used it might be better to sell it. When you go to retax it, the website asks for insurance policy details, although abc123 will be accepted. Declare it off the road for tax (online) and retax it online the day you need it. Motor tax is by calendar month so declare it off the road before it expires, and you will only save money if its untaxed for at least a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm doing similar to the OP after being given the loan of a car while my own is off the road. I have my Insurance Certificate in the glovebox.
    I was even stopped at a Garda checkpoint the other evening where the garda never even noticed that the insurance disc was out by a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

You can't move insurance discs.also the underground car will expect car to be insured
    As some cars go on fire
    And they will report it if they spot it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I'm with kbc and drive the "wifes" car on my policy. I've a little run around in my own name and drive the wife's motor on the weekends.
    I pay for the car tax using my insurance deets.
    I've similar wording to the Ops on my policy and they confirmed I am covered.
    Using this loophole for years

Advertisement