Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peruzzo Lucky Two Roof Mount Bike Carrier

Options
  • 02-03-2021 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to buy 5x bike roof carriers to mount on a trailer. It's eithers Halfords basic roof carrier or the Peruzzo Lucky Two Roof Mount from chain reactions cycles. Just wondering if anyone had the Peruzzo and how they find it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I've had these for years and they are fine but ...

They will mark the down tube where they clamp on to it. I've generally used them with alu frames. I wouldn't be happy with carbon. For my carbon frames I switched to the fork clamping type where you remove the front wheel and use the quick release to clamp on.

Also over time (5+ years) the plastic jaws got brittle (probably from exposure to sunlight) and started breaking up!

It's also quite a chore getting them on and off so I tended to leave mine on which makes for noisy driving.

PS probikeshop have them for 20.90 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭247music

They will mark the down tube where they clamp on to it. I've generally used them with alu frames. I wouldn't be happy with carbon. For my carbon frames I switched to the fork clamping type where you remove the front wheel and use the quick release to clamp on.

Hey Paul, thanks for replying.. So is it that the pads on the clamps are rough that they mark the frames or is it just the compression of the clamps on the frame that mark it? I had looked at the fork clamp type but wondered if they would put excessive force on the forks causing premature wear and tear..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

247music wrote: »
    Hey Paul, thanks for replying.. So is it that the pads on the clamps are rough that they mark the frames or is it just the compression of the clamps on the frame that mark it? I had looked at the fork clamp type but wondered if they would put excessive force on the forks causing premature wear and tear..

It's a combination really. There's probably a tendency to overtighten the clamp to make sure it stays on! TBH, if you had a few bits of foam padding (something like pipe insulation) it would probably stop any damage.

I never had any issues with fork clamps other than the fact that the front wheels had to be stored inside the car which was a nuisance in terms of both space and dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭247music

It's a combination really. There's probably a tendency to overtighten the clamp to make sure it stays on! TBH, if you had a few bits of foam padding (something like pipe insulation) it would probably stop any damage.

Thanks.. I'll probably go with those.. Only two left on probikes.. I need 5! :)

Advertisement