Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retrofitting sheep slats to cattle slats

• 01-03-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently looking at a place and there is an existing slatted shed with cattle slats. Is it possible to retrofit sheep slats on top of these or would i need to take out the
    Cattle slats first?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mayoireland

Do you want to put Concrete sheep slats in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently looking at a place and there is an existing slatted shed with cattle slats. Is it possible to retrofit sheep slats on top of these or would i need to take out the
    Cattle slats first?.

Cattle slats would have to come up,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Cattle slats would have to come up,

Did I see you say a good while ago Wrangler, that you rolled out straw bales over cattle slats for the sheep?

Did I see you say a good while ago Wrangler, that you rolled out straw bales over cattle slats for the sheep?

It just worked the same as an ordinary floor, the rolled out bales stopped the feet from going down.

Hi all,

Cattle slats first?.

A neighbour cut the hammerheads of the slats to narrow the gap for sheep, but they were very dirty on them, he had them on the modified slats for years, he put in plastic slats two years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Do you want to put Concrete sheep slats in

i was wondering if i can put the plastic ones on top or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

i was wondering if i can put the plastic ones on top or something similar?

You'd probably want to raise them same as on a dry bedded shed. It might be hard to get the dung down through the cattle slats after too though letting in a tanker of water might wash a lot down.

You can there is 6 inch clearance o donovan engineering said you can I priced 2 bay it was 48.25 sq metres he told be 2520 euro all in

You can there is 6 inch clearance o donovan engineering said you can I priced 2 bay it was 48.25 sq metres he told be 2520 euro all in

Is there any issue with the dung getting caught between both then?.

The man I was talking to say no I know of a neighbour that has 6 ×2 inch timber and 2x1 lates on top left straight on to the Concrete slat and he has done that for 20 years no problem cheaper than plastic but if you have the money go for plastic

• Advertisement

Is there any issue with the dung getting caught between both then?.

I'd be surprised if it didn't clog.

https://www.odonovaneng.ie/product/mik-stepper-sheep-slats/#iLightbox[product-gallery]/8

https://www.odonovaneng.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/web25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

These are for pigs but might do

https://youtu.be/H6KG_-J-of0

These are for pigs but might do

https://youtu.be/H6KG_-J-of0

They look like the right job, would sheep have any issues on concrete slats for a winter?. I like the look of the plastic slats but your link looks like a lower cost alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭White Clover

They look like the right job, would sheep have any issues on concrete slats for a winter?. I like the look of the plastic slats but your link looks like a lower cost alternative

I reckon the sheep would be filthy dirty on them concrete slats. The plastic slats are an altogether different design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭148multi

You can make a cage out of rebar that slots into the cattle slat and stops their feet from getting stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

Had a cattle shed here with the single slats, cut the tips of the slats to narrow them in. It wasn't a great job, they used to get very dirty on it. Have them taken out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

148multi wrote: »
    You can make a cage out of rebar that slots into the cattle slat and stops their feet from getting stuck.

10mm best for this. 12mm too thick.

Advertisement