Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Master Socket Located Upstairs

Options
  • 01-03-2021 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I have a strange situation or not. Was just taking an interest in my phone line as the National Broadband Plan will be coming my way at some point. We don't use the line at the moment - use 4G for internet.

Anyway my Eircom branded master socket is located upstairs in a back bedroom, house was built in 2008 and we bought it in 2015. Is this very unusual?

I see the line coming off the pole into a duct pipe, several extension sockets dotted around the house as well.

I would have thought the master socket would typically be at ground floor level, in the hallway or living room.

Having a look around as I say so I can understand what might eventually need to be done in order to connect fibre. No real big deal, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The routing of the copper line will have no impact of the fibre line. The fibre line routing at the house will be decided on install day.

Does the duct enter an external ETU enclosure or under the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the reply. It goes in under the floor, goes above ground in a press in the downstairs bathroom where the heating controls are, then up into the hot press above it and then up into the attic where it is connected to several telephone socket wires including the master. There is a standard plastic manhole just before it (along with electric gate and external lighting cables) goes into the house.

Is there ducting between the manhole and hot press, that would allow the fibre cable to be pushed or pulled through so that you might have more flexibility indoors to mount the ONT at a location convenient for you?

Hard to know without me chipping away more at the concrete in the Downstairs Bathroom photo, although it appears to move fairly freely, there is some sort of a space.

If it doesn't need to follow the copper wire it might be handier for me to bring the cable up and through the wall near the manhole. In the outside photo the hall inside the front door is straight from the camera position with a sitting room on the left of the photo. There is a double electrical socket then close-by for a modem/router.

Jumping the gun I know but thought I would check in case I might need to do anything in advance of fibre.

Personally I'd chip away at the concrete in the press just to see what access is there, easy to fill in if there isn't access.

On the outside I'd drill down into the pipe beside the wall and run the cable out that way.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will take a better look at the space in the press. Thanks for the responses, should be straight-forward enough when the time comes to it, famous last words.

Advertisement