Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poo issues in a 4 year old

Options
  • 01-03-2021 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was wondering whether anyone has experience of this.

My 4 YO son has been trained for wees, and night trained, for over a year. He is a very clever and chatty wee man but has always had issues with his poos. He almost never does a solid poo - always very mushy - and he refuses to poo in a toilet or potty. He says he is scared but I think there is more to it than that. He will not sit down or squat to poo - has always done the poo standing up in his nappy. He refuses to try a squat. I wonder if this is related to the fact that his poos are very wet.

I have had him to the GP a few times. Last time, I asked her to check bloods for coeliac (his brother is awaiting a scope for diagnosis). The anti-TTG came back fine, although he did have low iron and a funny liver enzyme reading. GP wasn't concerned.

He had an egg allergy as a baby, so I tried cutting out eggs for 2 weeks to see if it made a difference to his poos. It didn't. Then I tried dairy (his brother had a dairy allergy) but again, no difference. Next step is to try cutting out gluten...

I just feel a bit lost and not sure what to do next. I feel like if we can't get to the bottom of the loose bowel movements, we won't get him sitting or squatting to poo and he will be doing it in nappies for a long time to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Does he eat much fruit ?

We have a boy with very loose stools as well. He isn’t toilet trained. He has special needs and just not ready yet but It will always be tricky until stools are firmer. I think there are ways to help but first port of call is obviously diet. Anyway our guy eats heaps of fruit. Grapes in particular are not helpful apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

fits wrote: »
    Does he eat much fruit ?

We have a boy with very loose stools as well. He isn’t toilet trained. He has special needs and just not ready yet but It will always be tricky until stools are firmer. I think there are ways to help but first port of call is obviously diet. Anyway our guy eats heaps of fruit. Grapes in particular are not helpful apparently.

He does yeah. I've actually cut fruit right now in the past to see if it made much difference, but it didn't. He eats almost zero veg so I'm happy to see him eating fruit though!

Advertisement