Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

requirements to change a van to a camper

Options
  • 01-03-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Anyone know the main issues in converting a vw transporter van to a camper??
    Does it expressly need a built in power jack or can it run all off solar or battery generator??
    Does it need plumbing or can a portable toilet do??
    Any help from someone thats dealt with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/conversions/specific-vehicles.aspx

Failing that, look at thread of where other people have reclassifed conversions before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

My brother has done this ON a LWB Master. He has a fb page which helps people doing similar
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/677054506233588/?ref=share

Someone there will point ya in the right direction for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭Shoog

The legal requirements are very small, it needs a bed, a cooker, a sink and a table. Thats just about it. You need a gas cert from a gas fitter and a SQI cert in order to apply to the revenue.
    However to get it insured in ireland you need to be able to walk from the front cab to the back - which means captains seats. You also need at least 1.8M head height or no Irish insurance company will touch you. So pick your donar vehicle wisely.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shoog wrote: »
    The legal requirements are very small, it needs a bed, a cooker, a sink and a table. Thats just about it. You need a gas cert from a gas fitter and a SQI cert in order to apply to the revenue.
    However to get it insured in ireland you need to be able to walk from the front cab to the back - which means captains seats. You also need at least 1.8M head height or no Irish insurance company will touch you. So pick your donar vehicle wisely.

Shoog

This isn't quite right, for some insurance companies sure but there are exceptions to most of the above.

Alkers wrote: »
    This isn't quite right, for some insurance companies sure but there are exceptions to most of the above.
    If you go through the Irish Motorhome Club then yes, but they are a bunch of arseholes and can be difficult to deal with. The other exception is the IVETA but they have very restrictive insurance. Otherwise its Dolmens or Stewarts and they will make you jump through hoops - two of which will be head height and front to back.

i feel its important that people are aware of the very limited insurance options from the outset, and plan for their requirements from day one.

Shoog

• Advertisement

If you go through the Irish Motorhome Club then yes, but they are a bunch of arseholes and can be difficult to deal with. The other exception is the IVETA but they have very restrictive insurance. Otherwise its Dolmens or Stewarts and they will make you jump through hoops - two of which will be head height and front to back.

i feel its important that people are aware of the very limited insurance options from the outset, and plan for their requirements from day one.

Shoog

There's also Richardson's, who used to be through the MCC but are now separate and I also believe that Carole Nash have a group scheme for vws

Alkers wrote: »
    There's also Richardson's, who used to be through the MCC but are now separate and I also believe that Carole Nash have a group scheme for vws
    Interesting that Richardsons are offering a product, but I somehow suspect they will also have the same two basic requairements. Last time I looked into Carole Nash (a few years ago) they werent offering their VW scheme in ireland.

Shoog

Interesting that Richardsons are offering a product, but I somehow suspect they will also have the same two basic requairements. Last time I looked into Carole Nash (a few years ago) they werent offering their VW scheme in ireland.

Shoog
    I've a pop top insured with them with no walkway from the front.

is that Richardsons ? Might try them out then, but ours is standard roof so maybe they will maybe they wont.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Shoog

No you don't

• Advertisement

No you don't
    Our SQI would only issue his cert if you had one, so that made it a requirement. I also think its only sensible to get your Gas install certified for safety reasons. You can fit a meths stove to get around this, but its a bit crap compared to gas.

Carol Nash do not have the VW policy listed on their Irish site, and as i said when I enquired by phone they said its not offered.

Shoog

Advertisement