Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini pump to attach to bike recommendations

Options
  • 01-03-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a mini pump, clip onto bike frame. any recommendations please?
    (BTW I have the gas cylinders)
    Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

I quite like the Giant Control Mini Pro Pocket Pump. It's tiny but very effective, have it on two of my bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I picked up a Blackburn AirStik SL Pump from bike24.de last summer. Seems to be fine. Although I haven't needed mine on the road yet (touchwood), I have rehearsed on a few tubes at home. It fits quite easily into a pocket or tool keg.

It's small but gets good reviews e.g. https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/maintenance/pumps/mini-pumps/blackburn-airstik-sl-pump-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I can recommend one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

^^
    what he said, i got the M size , pumps with flex hoses are better IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’d recommend the Bontrager Air Rush Road Mini Pump/CO2 Inflator. I find it exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just saw that Lidl will have this from next Monday.
    Seems an imitation of the Lezyne one. Can anyone explain how exactly it screws to the bike frame? I've watched this vid but amn't 100% sure (jump to 1 min 30 seconds

Would ye avoid that pump or not?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dinneenp wrote: »
    Seems an imitation of the Lezyne one.

the Lezyne looks like it extends to give more pumping capacity, the Lidl one does not.
    Can anyone explain how exactly it screws to the bike frame?

I have the previous version of this pump, it attaches using the bottle-cage nuts.

It's not a great pump TBH, it's so small that it takes forever to inflate a tyre, I assume the extending design of the Lezyne would be an improvement. It'll get you home I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would avoid the Lidl one, only time I've had to call for a lift home was with a hand pump from Lidl, couldn't get enough air to even get me 15km home

I would avoid the Lidl one, only time I've had to call for a lift home was with a hand pump from Lidl, couldn't get enough air to even get me 15km home

Cheers, will pay the bit extra for a better one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Seweryn wrote: »
    I can recommend one of these.

Personally, I have had bad experiences with the Lezyne and would recommend the Pocket Rocket instead. I have found that the Lezyne tends to remove the cores from my tubes when unscrewing, so I no longer trust it. It would be a great pump if not for this issue.

It is possible to prevent this by adding some thread locker to the cores, but this is a pain to do and I have found the Pocket Rocket a decent substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Personally, I have had bad experiences with the Lezyne and would recommend the Pocket Rocket instead. I have found that the Lezyne tends to remove the cores from my tubes when unscrewing, so I no longer trust it. It would be a great pump if not for this issue.

It is possible to prevent this by adding some thread locker to the cores, but this is a pain to do and I have found the Pocket Rocket a decent substitute.
    I know what you mean. If the core is screwed in properly and you attach the pump end gently, there should be no issue with it. I have been using the Lezyne pump for years and the main thing I like about it is the way it is attached to the bike. It is there whenever needed and is not obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I have found that the Lezyne tends to remove the cores from my tubes when unscrewing, so I no longer trust it. It would be a great pump if not for this issue.

Most of the Lezyne mini-pumps have a black button on the piece you attach to the valve. If you press this before unscrewing, it releases the pressure in the connector hose and shouldn't then remove the core from the valve. I think it mentions this in the instructions and has always worked for me.

HI,

Am I right in saying that the Giant pocket rocket doesn't come with anything to attach it to my bike frame? Appears not- link.

hhhhmmmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

HI,

Am I right in saying that the Giant pocket rocket doesn't come with anything to attach it to my bike frame? Appears not- link.

hhhhmmmmmm.....

You are correct yeah. You could just keep it in your jersey back pocket, or it might be small enough to fit in your saddle bag (if you have one on your bike).

You mentioned that you have CO2 cartridges... you can always chance just carrying them and an inflator and not bother with a pump (for the record I carry a mini pump, inflator and CO2 cartridge in my saddlr bag, but I'm just saying it's an option not to carry a pump)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Recommend Lezeyne as well, have the Road Drive . Spare seals are available so they're also serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

HI,

hhhhmmmmmm.....

It comes with a very tidy frame mount - you'd scarcely notice it's there. For what it's worth, I also have a Lezyne Pressure Drive pump and I prefer this one. It seems to inflate faster which is the thing I really care about in a mini-pump.

HI,

hhhhmmmmmm.....

the giant is the "Pro Rocket". the "Pocket Rocket" is toppeak https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-pocket-rocket-pump

I have a pocket rocket and it is pretty good for a mini pump. Fortunately I haven't had to use it too many times though.

You are correct yeah. You could just keep it in your jersey back pocket, or it might be small enough to fit in your saddle bag (if you have one on your bike).

You mentioned that you have CO2 cartridges... you can always chance just carrying them and an inflator and not bother with a pump (for the record I carry a mini pump, inflator and CO2 cartridge in my saddlr bag, but I'm just saying it's an option not to carry a pump)

The last time I had a puncture phoned home for a lift, tried the cO2 cartridge in the garage but didn't get it to work. I've since watched youtube videos closely to know for sure how to use them. Maybe it's old fashioned thinking but a pump seems more reliable, guaranteed to work compared to the C02 and a good backup to have at the worst....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The last time I had a puncture phoned home for a lift, tried the cO2 cartridge in the garage but didn't get it to work. I've since watched youtube videos closely to know for sure how to use them. Maybe it's old fashioned thinking but a pump seems more reliable, guaranteed to work compared to the C02 and a good backup to have at the worst....

Oh I don't disagree, I always bring both. And also a puncture repair kit, a spare tube, and tyre patches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/lifeline-motion-floor-mount-mini-pump/rp-prod155446

Attaches to bike, Gets good reviews, inexpensive, has a proper handle and a fold out piece to go under your shoe.
    Mount isn’t off to one side though so it consumes a bottle holder position. Can be attached with cable ties if this is a problem tho.
    I’ve had one for 2 years though haven’t used it on the roadside yet. Does both valve types but is a bit of a fiddle to swap between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The lidl/aldi ones are dirt. I got a puncture last year in the hellfire, had a spare tube, went to put air in and it fell apart as I was pumping it.
    Had to walk back home with the bike to tallaght with an l5 prolapsed disc in my back.
    Very painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foxmoves

Most of the Lezyne mini-pumps have a black button on the piece you attach to the valve. If you press this before unscrewing, it releases the pressure in the connector hose and shouldn't then remove the core from the valve. I think it mentions this in the instructions and has always worked for me.

Michelin also do tubes with non removable cores, which can also reduce the risks of the core screwing out if that little black button not working as expected.

Great little pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I have found that the Lezyne tends to remove the cores from my tubes when unscrewing, so I no longer trust it....
    I've been using a Lezyne for years and never had that problem. (I think it's an issue with Continental tubes (?) rather than the pump).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Can anyone explain how exactly it screws to the bike frame? I've watched this vid but amn't 100% sure....
    As Loyatemu has said, you remove a bottle cage and refit both bracket and bottle cage. (Some bottle cage bolts can be short and if the bracket is any way thickish, there may not be enough 'purchase'.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ordered the toppeak"Pocket Rocket" for click and collect in Halfords.

Advertisement