Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belcamp, Malahide road

Options
  • 28-02-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is anyone else looking at this development or have info about the area. We have a deposit down but are now having doubts due to proximity to some pretty rough areas. We were hopeful that the anti social element wouldn’t venture up that road but that’s a big risk to take. Anyone else considering this area your advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

2 words.

You're fcukd. :pac:

Why put a deposit down, then do the research?

Cemeteries are scary!

Bit further up the road than i thought initially. What sort of behavior have you come across?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

I'd say it would be alright. Darndale isn't really that close and is pretty self contained. The apartments being built directly across from bank of ireland will all be social housing. Not sure if that will put you off. Belmayne also has some social housing too. To be honest it's more the proximity to the road that would bother me. That road is crazy for traffic and I'd say the noise would be a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not really much within walking distance is there?
    You'd need a car to get or do anything and that whole area seems to have more developments but not infrastructure out in around it.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Not really much within walking distance is there?
    You'd need a car to get or do anything and that whole area seems to have more developments but not infrastructure out in around it.

There's a few shops at northern cross but yeah it would be a bit of walk up to Clarehall alright. It's in a bit of a no man's lad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 S_ean_m

Taylor365 wrote: »
    2 words.

You're fcukd. :pac:

Why put a deposit down, then do the research?

Cemeteries are scary!

Bit further up the road than i thought initially. What sort of behavior have you come across?
    It’s a refundable deposit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Seems a bit close to Clarehall, Darndale and Donaghmede but anywhere in Dublin you don't have to venture far to arrive to somewhere that's not so we'll thought of.

Is it better value for money there? If being somewhere 'nice' is big on your ticklist I would just bin the idea. I assume your booking deposit is 5k. Over the course of your life this is peanuts and doesn't warrant you staying invested in a bad decision if that's what it is.

The big traders on wall st always say take the emotion out of your decision, base it purely on numbers and don't be afraid to cut a loss if it's the right thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5 S_ean_m

Yes we have the booking deposit down but it’s refundable so we’re ok, we got called on Thursday and had to secure it! Its decent value for Dublin but I’m presuming that’s due to the location. I’m sure the estate itself will be nice I’m just concerned about the likes of Darndale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

S_ean_m wrote: »
    Yes we have the booking deposit down but it’s refundable so we’re ok, we got called on Thursday and had to secure it! Its decent value for Dublin but I’m presuming that’s due to the location. I’m sure the estate itself will be nice I’m just concerned about the likes of Darndale

Darndale is a 20min walk from there . Literally a business park , a dual carriageway and a field away

Anyway it's a big decision for you but don't think proximity to darndale is a huge issue

S_ean_m wrote: »

I really wouldn't worry about darndale . The teens in there mainly stay put or if they do venture out they usually head towards coolock or hang around clarehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Jesus there is a lot of judgment going on here, and id wager a fair bit of it idle speculation based on preconceptions.

1st up by anyone's standards darndale is an area where poverty has been high, and anti social behavior has been an issue, and does continue to be a societal factor. I live close enough and there are occasional teenage bands that walk around etc. Definitely you should be aware of it, but if we are honest the pricing of the houses close by tend to reflect that they are D13 and not D3 or D5. many houses with a glasnevin address are closer to ballymun etc. Also a large regeneration of darndale a while back has addressed many of the issues like rat runs etc, and improved the situation.

Clarehall is a far nicer estate that has no more antisocial behaviour than say donaghmede. The houses are nice, the estate well looked after, in general, and really using phrases like 'no mans land' is IMO just stereotyping.

The shopping centre at clarehall is well run, and while they tend to have 2-3 security staff on, (and they are needed) they prevent gangs of teens etc from congregating there and i have never felt uncomfortable shopping there, or entering and leaving. In fact quite a few people come from various distances to shop there in the tesco extra, easons, holland and barrett varios pound shops etc, and doctors surgery etc.

the newer estates that have been build like belmayne and parklands are IMO grand places. No more issues than any other reasonable estates that have been thrown up quickly. They tend to be quite well landscaped and no terrible fro litter etc.two big new school building have been provided for both educate together and catholic primary school and they are SOTA as far as school buildings go.

The new estate at belcamp has been built neer the old school, and for years this has been field/deserted building, and yes, a place where people could go an drink etc. But is been fenced off for several years now, and this has not been happening anymore.

Its not beirut, its an estate close to good amenities, schools, shopping, fr collins park, well serviced by public transport. There are pros and cons. More pro's than cons IMO, but all such judgments are subjective.

If i were OP i would proceed but make sure i joined any proactive neighbourhood group, to keep my area well looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

In my opinion, pretty much all areas of Dublin are a stone's throw from less desirable areas with a reputation.

I live in nearby Parkside. The general area has a lot going for it.
    We are 5-10 min drive to Portmarnock beach, the new road will make it even more accessible. 10-15 min drive (depending on traffic) from Malahide & Howth. Close to the airport (handy for when we can actually travel again). Plenty of transport links nearby, Dart, buses, M50.
    Shopping in Sword Pavillions, cinemas etc.

The downside is that there is currently no town/village centre with pubs/restaurants in walking distance. There are big plans to build a town centre in Belmayne (the large empty site across the Malahide Road from the Hilton Hotel) and Clongriffin town centre also has many plans in place like a new cinema.

You also have the Balgriffin Inn on your doorstep, which is ok. They have been doing take-away food & pints throughout the pandemic which has been great!
    The new owners are really making a go of it.

I think the Belcamp development will be really nice when finished as it has the beautiful old college building as the centrepiece. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reds86

Anyone bought in the latest phases at Belcamp?

Advertisement