Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not every day...

Options
  • 27-02-2021 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

...that a bike, raced by Sean Kelly, comes through the door for some remedial preservation work!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

some more...

and finally...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

I thought it might be a Vitus alright.

Been looking for a set of those shifters at a reasonable price for a while now. Might have to wait a while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Very nice.

Big fan of the look of those Mavic derailleurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

One of the Vitus rabbit holes that I fell into for the last hour if anyone is interested.

http://equusbicycle.com/bike/vitus/brochure/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what work needs doing?

Sorry if off topic, but how is Kelly these days? He's not commentating on Paris - Nice this year and I recall someone here mention he had a pretty bad crash on his MTB over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

News of Kelly’s crash had spread within the cycling community in recent weeks and today he took to social media confirming he was very much on the mend.

“Out for a walk today,” he said. “I’ll be doing more walking than biking for the next few weeks as I had a crash on the mountain bike.

“Broke a collarbone and fractured a few ribs. A little sore but getting better every day. Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and a safe and successful 2021.”

hesker wrote: »
    I thought it might be a Vitus alright.

Been looking for a set of those shifters at a reasonable price for a while now. Might have to wait a while more.

Simplex retrofriction shifters.

Simplex version can usually be found online for 50-60 a pair.

I have them on a few bikes.

what work needs doing?

It came in for a chain and freewheel, rear derailleur service and bearing service, general health check, so the owner could use it as 'spare' bike for tipping around on, as I had serviced his 'good' bike last week.

I posted it a few places on social media, Sean Kelly became aware of it and rang the owner, who is a lifelong friend of his, in Carrick. From memory, he recalled using it during the 86 Nissan Classic and a number of other races in 1987.

So it transpires that myself and Kelly have given him the same advice: DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING! Keep it original as its provenance, history and value are in its current condition, including all the parts that are fitted.

It's being hanging in the owners shed for years, with him unaware of its value!

I'm currently trying to source a pair of brake lever hoods for it, as the original brown gum ones are long gone.

• Advertisement

8valve wrote: »
    Simplex retrofriction shifters.

Simplex version can usually be found online for 50-60 a pair.

I have them on a few bikes.

Best friction shifters ever according to many. I just find the prices a bit steep. And I have too much stuff already

8valve wrote: »

I'm currently trying to source a pair of brake lever hoods for it, as the original brown gum ones are long gone.

Modolo anatomic hoods might fit. But they are not cheap either at about €40 last time I checked.

Those might be Mavic branded Modolo brakes.

Dia Compe 204 hoods might also fit.

Best friction shifters ever according to many. I just find the prices a bit steep. And I have too much stuff already

Yes, totally agree; they are excellent shifters.

Modolo anatomic hoods might fit. But they are not cheap either at about €40 last time I checked.

Those might be Mavic branded Modolo brakes.

Dia Compe 204 hoods might also fit.

I posted on an international vintage bike FB page and a gent from the US is very kindly posting me a Modolo set (which are basically identical) that have been in his spare parts box from new!

Advertisement