Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain bike recommendations?

• 27-02-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has bought a lovely Orbea mountain bike on the bike to work scheme, cost him €1250 all in including helmet and a few other things. He's completely new to it but wants to give it a go. So I'm interested also but I can only afford about half that. Went into 3 local bike stores today and they all said the same thing...... Stock levels are at a crazy low level, some bikes won't be in until September or later.
    Anyway, there was 1 Orbea Mx 50 for €550 in stock in a large. And a Mx 40 for €650 in medium. I preferred this one as the shocks could be locked and guy said it had better gears at the back. But it was a medium. He said it was fine for me but I'm 5'11 and 16 stone.... Is a medium too small?
    Next shop had a Trek Marlin 5(large) for €550, lovely looking bike.... But someone had placed deposit this morning on it. He said he sold 18 of them the past week all on BTW scheme! And that was the last one.
    Next store said they're getting in a few Giant Talon bikes in about 4 weeks. He said there's one around €600 and another model around €700. I don't know the exact model as he was mad busy!

So which of these is the best? Is there any other alternatives? I'm in Dundalk but work in Drogheda so I'll check stores there next week. And should I go medium or large frame?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Check manufacturers websites for sizing recommendations, spend as much as you can, you generally get what you pay for, even though probably nothing wrong with any that you mentioned, and try before you buy. I'd personally spend all the money on the actual bike, accessories can be bought later, sometimes cheaply in places like lidl and Aldi. Oh, and welcome to the mountain biking forum, you're fcuked now, it's highly addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Check manufacturers websites for sizing recommendations, spend as much as you can, you generally get what you pay for, even though probably nothing wrong with any that you mentioned, and try before you buy. I'd personally spend all the money on the actual bike, accessories can be bought later, sometimes cheaply in places like lidl and Aldi. Oh, and welcome to the mountain biking forum, you're fcuked now, it's highly addictive

Thanks for that! I'm 46,overweight so I'll probably be fecked after the first spin! But I was a bit of an adrenaline junkie in my younger days so looking forward to that part!
    Did a bit of research last night, think I'll spend a bit more and maybe get my youngest son a bike also (he's due one). Was recommended I get a bike with decent forks and single drivetrain. Looking at a Giant Talon 1, anyone have it?
    It's out of stock everywhere though, anyone spot one in a shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If you are a big enough chap and you intend on going down trails and hills I would buy a better bike than the ones you have suggested so far. Maybe look at adverts and donedeal. There isnt much on at the moment. the Marlin etc are very fine kids bikes, but not proper mountain bikes and you will grow out of them in a few weeks.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If you are a big enough chap and you intend on going down trails and hills I would buy a better bike than the ones you have suggested so far. Maybe look at adverts and donedeal. There isnt much on at the moment. the Marlin etc are very fine kids bikes, but not proper mountain bikes and you will grow out of them in a few weeks.

OK, thanks. What about the Giant Talon 1?

seems like an ok bike, but you will need more fork travel - I would aim for 120 or more.

reason being a hefty chap will be using every mm of travel if you start jumping stuff ( and if you like adrenaline....... )

• Advertisement

I have a had 2 Boardman road bikes and I liked them - good value I think
    This seem like a good bike

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8.6-mens-mountain-bike-2021---red---s%2C-m%2C-l-frames-365950.html

As I said, 120+ travel, hydraulic brakes, and ideally a dropper post - but they are a big ask for your budget !

Also, I have heard the decathlon bikes are rebranded versions of another good make ( cant remember ) but they seem well kitted out for the money - check out their site

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have a had 2 Boardman road bikes and I liked them - good value I think
    This seem like a good bike

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8.6-mens-mountain-bike-2021---red---s%2C-m%2C-l-frames-365950.html

As I said, 120+ travel, hydraulic brakes, and ideally a dropper post - but they are a big ask for your budget !

Also, I have heard the decathlon bikes are rebranded versions of another good make ( cant remember ) but they seem well kitted out for the money - check out their site

None of those Boardman bikes are available at my local Halfords. Really would like to see & try the bike first. Also I'll be using the bike to work scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

With the way bike stocks are, buy the best bike you can afford as quickly as possible as stocks are stupidly low and not going to improve anytime soon. Ideally look for long, low and slack geometry as that's the most forgiving for a beginner.

Then ride it and get more stamina over summer.

Don't worry too much about fork travel or a dropper, as when you cycle to the top of a hill you can drop the saddle to come down. It's what was done before dropper posts and it's means your a bit slower but a breather is good.

By the end of summer you'll be a lot more clued in on the type of cycling that you like and what improvements or changes would work for you.

saccades wrote: »
    With the way bike stocks are, buy the best bike you can afford as quickly as possible as stocks are stupidly low and not going to improve anytime soon. Ideally look for long, low and slack geometry as that's the most forgiving for a beginner.

Then ride it and get more stamina over summer.

Don't worry too much about fork travel or a dropper, as when you cycle to the top of a hill you can drop the saddle to come down. It's what was done before dropper posts and it's means your a bit slower but a breather is good.

By the end of summer you'll be a lot more clued in on the type of cycling that you like and what improvements or changes would work for you.

Yeh, stocks levels are completely low. Looking at a Giant Talon 1 or a VooDoo Bizango? Is the bizango a better bike? Reviews are very positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you getting it on the bike to work scheme or buying it outright?

I'd look at the second hand market if the latter. Here's a nice Roscoe for €750 but he doesn't mention size in the ad. https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/trek-roscoe-8/27376884?utm_campaign=contentsharing&utm_medium=advertsweb&utm_source=adverts

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Are you getting it on the bike to work scheme or buying it outright?

I'd look at the second hand market if the latter. Here's a nice Roscoe for €750 but he doesn't mention size in the ad. https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/trek-roscoe-8/27376884?utm_campaign=contentsharing&utm_medium=advertsweb&utm_source=adverts

Yeh, going through bike to work scheme

R11 wrote: »
    Yeh, going through bike to work scheme

Ah that's a shame that bike I linked would be perfect starting out and a hardtail is always nice to have.

Try revolve bike shop in Gorey they had a number of Trek bikes due in. https://www.revolvebikeshop.ie/

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame that bike I linked would be perfect starting out and a hardtail is always nice to have.
    l]

Are the Giant Talon 1 and voodoo bizango not hard tails?

Are the Giant Talon 1 and voodoo bizango not hard tails?

They are indeed but would be at a different level to the Roscoe 8. A hardtail is just a mountain bike without rear suspension.

If you can find one with a dropper post that makes a huge difference to how you can throw the bike around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Yeh, stocks levels are completely low. Looking at a Giant Talon 1 or a VooDoo Bizango? Is the bizango a better bike? Reviews are very positive

Both are well regarded bikes at their price point, do what I do and pick the sexier colour scheme (I would prefer the voodoo as I can't ever get excited by a giant despite knowing they are excellent bikes).

I think because I like slightly left field choices, dunno.

Advertisement