Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike recommendations?

Options
  • 27-02-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

This might be the wrong forum but I can't see a mountain bike forum.
    Friend of mine has bought a lovely Orbea mountain bike on the bike to work scheme, cost him €1250 all in including helmet and a few other things. He's completely new to it but wants to give it a go. So I'm interested also but I can only afford about half that. Went into 3 local bike stores today and they all said the same thing...... Stock levels are at a crazy low level, some bikes won't be in until September or later.
    Anyway, there was 1 Orbea Mx 50 for €550 in stock in a large. And a Mx 40 for €650 in medium. I preferred this one as the shocks could be locked and guy said it had better gears at the back. But it was a medium. He said it was fine for me but I'm 5'11 and 16 stone.... Is a medium too small?
    Next shop had a Trek Marlin 5(large) for €550, lovely looking bike.... But someone had placed deposit this morning on it. He said he sold 18 of them the past week all on BTW scheme! And that was the last one.
    Next store said they're getting in a few Giant Talon bikes in about 4 weeks. He said there's one around €600 and another model around €700. I don't know the exact model as he was mad busy!

So which of these is the best? Is there any other alternatives? I'm in Dundalk but work in Drogheda so I'll check stores there next week. And should I go medium or large frame?

Comments

Advertisement