Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Broadband Speeds

Options
  • 27-02-2021 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have fibre broadband via the telephone poles coming to my road over the next few weeks. We live in a rural area and I am probably about three miles from our nearest exchange. I currently get between 10 and 20mbs from a wireless broadband connection to my house and I am just wondering what sort of speeds would I expect and also is the speed constant or does it go up and down depending on demand ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

How do you know fibre is coming? do you have black distribution boxes appearing on telephone poles near you?

If you are correct, then its likely one of two things

1) Eir IFN Urban Rollout
    2) NBI Rollout

Put your eircode into nbi.ie and see what it says. If its fibre then you could expect 150MB to 1000MB although you could be waiting a fair while yet depending on where they are at with the build out

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

I live about 4 miles from nearest exchange my speed is between 1.4 to .8 Mbps. I'm with sky broadband currently no sign of fibre coming anytime soon . Any one have any suggestions as to who may offer better Mbps than I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Loopers27 wrote: »
    We have fibre broadband via the telephone poles coming to my road over the next few weeks. We live in a rural area and I am probably about three miles from our nearest exchange. I currently get between 10 and 20mbs from a wireless broadband connection to my house and I am just wondering what sort of speeds would I expect and also is the speed constant or does it go up and down depending on demand ?

- Distance doesnt matter, if you're close enough to connect you you'll get full speed.

- It may vary somewhat depending on how your operator architects their network, if they provide enough capacity it wont for a few years.
    hammerdub wrote: »
    I live about 4 miles from nearest exchange my speed is between 1.4 to .8 Mbps. I'm with sky broadband currently no sign of fibre coming anytime soon . Any one have any suggestions as to who may offer better Mbps than I'm getting.

- Test 4G on the roof
    - Setup 4G
    - Cancel the landline, 6km DSL is as useful as a fart.

Advertisement