Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB Upgrade on old Virgin package

Options
  • 26-02-2021 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on an old(er) Virgin Media bundles managed to upgrade their BB beyond 30 or 50 megabit BB speed have but kept the rest of their old bundle?

I'm on Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb since 2012, with TV and phone. BB is fine but working from home has stretched it a bit and for that reason only I was looking to upgrade - just to current minimum 250.

The old cisco router started acting up last year so I've now a hub 3.0 , and they said it initially that it was just a backend setting - but then came back and said they couldn't upgrade unless the TV package was changed.

Upgrading the TV package would be a hard sell with the Mrs, she's not one for change - so I'm not going to start taking flack for that at the mo. Will probably review when no longer working from home, but if anyone managed to get upgraded please let me know and I might ring them back and start whinging at them ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What exact tv package and box do you have?
    You could upgrade the box to whatever their new one is now and keep the main box you have now as a second box. So keep the one you have now where it is and get the horizon or 360 box for another room.

Change in speed will mean a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What exact tv package and box do you have?

Digital Select Extra / Fibre Power Essential Hd
    - CISCO HD DVR 8685 (Digital+ HD)
    - Pace HD STB (Multiroom viewing)

Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    - Compal CH7465LG-VM
    You could upgrade the box to whatever their new one is now and keep the main box you have now as a second box. So keep the one you have now where it is and get the horizon or 360 box for another room.

That's thinking outside the box (excuse the pun). That was never mentioned to me - it's something I could follow up on - thanks.
    Change in speed will mean a new contract.
    Had agreed to it all - and then they came back and said it could not be done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Swap the pace multiroom out for the new box so. I did the same thing myself when Horizon came out yonks ago.

Watch the phone package you’re on, make sure whatever you change to will cover what you need.

If you’re out of contract then absolutely make sure you play the game and go about cancelling the account so that you can get a retentions offer.
    Have some info on a competitor offer to hand to add some credibility. Don’t be afraid to confirm 30 day cancellation, you can always withdraw it afterwards. You don’t ask you don’t get.

Advertisement