Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing weedy lawn with rollout turf. Is tilling/rotovator enough to to prep it?

• 26-02-2021 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello, all,

Finally about to replace my lawn which is uneven and full of weeds. I aim to add between 4-8 inches to it depending on the area (there's lots of dips) and roll out new turf on that. To prepare though, I plan to remove the current lawn with a sod cutter and then run a tiller over it and manually pick out and weeds/stones that I see.

Then aim to lay a few tonnes of soil on it to raise it back up to the level I want, then roll out the lawn out on it (maybe after a few weeks) until I'm happy it's been compacted and level

Do I need to go down the chemical route to remove the weeds first? Or lay plastic out on it for 3-4 weeks? I'd like to get started pretty soon, so I'm hoping my method (sod cut, rotovate, remove weeds by hand) should be enough.

Thanks all.
    Tagged:

Advertisement