Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Greenway

Options
  • 26-02-2021 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Meath County Council have just started a public consultation on route options for the Boyne Greenway between Navan and Oldbridge. Already there is some kickback from local landowners suggesting it should be kept away from the river bank and could run alongside trunk roads! Details and a consultation questionnaire are at https://consult.meath.ie/en/consultation/boyne-greenway-and-navigation-restoration-scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

God would be gorgeous beside the river. Look at blueway down between Clonmel and Carrick on Shannon, superb. I've cycled a bit of this area and these things are all about being close to nature, they should maximise this. Would be huge asset for community and would bring people in, on to Slane, Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth. Kind of no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

a148pro wrote: »
    God would be gorgeous beside the river. Look at blueway down between Clonmel and Carrick on Shannon, superb. I've cycled a bit of this area and these things are all about being close to nature, they should maximise this. Would be huge asset for community and would bring people in, on to Slane, Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth. Kind of no brainer.

I totally agree. Having cycled most of the Greenways in the country and the Suir Blueway, as well as walking most of the Boyne route, this should be the most beautiful Greenway of them all. Hopefully the funds will be there to develop it by the time it goes through the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thanks, done my submission. Really hopes this goes ahead. Lovely walking along the area around Slane and towards Navan as it is and would be amazing to have it developed properly. Am originally from nearby and sister in process of buying in Slane so would likely visit it plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kccamper

Meath County Council have just started a public consultation on route options for the Boyne Greenway between Navan and Oldbridge. Already there is some kickback from local landowners suggesting it should be kept away from the river bank and could run alongside trunk roads! Details and a consultation questionnaire are at https://consult.meath.ie/en/consultation/boyne-greenway-and-navigation-restoration-scheme

Wondering where did you hear about the opposition from local landowners. Can't believe the Bull McCabe is out already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Delighted to see this progressing!

Based on the maps, the green line looks like it's staying the closest to the river, especially on the section close to Oldbridge (which is the only area I have been to). Is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Yeah, there are some maps and leaflets you can take a look at before you go out the questionnaire. The green line follows the original towpath the whole way. Crosses the river a couple of times. I haven't completed the entire route but family members have, is a great walk as is, would be fantastic if completed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a148pro wrote: »
    Carrick on Suir, I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

kccamper wrote: »
    Wondering where did you hear about the opposition from local landowners. Can't believe the Bull McCabe is out already!

Paddy Meade, a local Concillor, posted about it on FB and some of the comments were pretty negative about it being near the riverside.

https://www.facebook.com/Meade4Meath/?__cft__

Could have their work cut out for them, one of the comments he made reference to not all local councillors being on side with a proposed footpath between Donor Village and the Newgrange visitor centre.

Advertisement